Financial Development and Growth in Direct Firm-Level Comparisons
AbstractThe establishment of the EU-15 'single market' in 1993 brought about a high degree of synchronization of industry shocks, while substantial diversity existed in the development of country-level financial markets. We compare within-industry growth rates of similar 'single-market' firms facing financial systems of different depth and institutional quality as of 1993. Moving from the least to the most developed financial market within the EU- 15 boosts firms' annual value-added growth by about three percentage points. Our results also suggest that the growth gap due to initially under-developed financial systems was closed by 2003.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague in its series CERGE-EI Working Papers with number wp317.
Date of creation: Mar 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 882, Politickych veznu 7, 111 21 Praha 1
Phone: (+420) 224 005 123
Fax: (+420) 224 005 333
Web page: http://www.cerge-ei.cz
More information through EDIRC
Financial development; Corporate growth; Access to financial markets.;
Other versions of this item:
- Bena, Jan & Jurajda, Stepan, 2007. "Financial Development and Growth in Direct Firm-Level Comparisons," CEPR Discussion Papers 6395, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jana Koudelkova).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.