Japanese management techniques to enhance the governance of Greek small and medium-sized firms
AbstractGiven the economic and social crisis Greece is going through, it seems clear that the Greek future over the next few years will rest on macroeconomic actions, both national and international. This undeniable assertion notwithstanding, I do maintain that the Greek private sector has an important role to play in overcoming the present crisis. This especially applies to Greek small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), which comprise an important proportion of Greek firms. The use of adequate SME governance tools at Greek companies might be beneficial. Good governance leads to a better relationship among stakeholders, increases the effectiveness of board work and activates unknown potential at the firm through better principles and practices. Some Japanese tools that enhance governance as could be applied to Greek SMEs and smaller state organizations are presented. In general, SMEs, with fewer relative resources, face important conceptual and methodological difficulties when implementing a governance structure. This assertion is also true in Greece. Over the past three or four decades, however, Japanese management techniques that can be applied to implement and consolidate SME governance have gained diffusion all over the world. These tools are particularly apt for Greek SMEs, due to their flexibility, low cost, and rapid effectiveness. Specific examples of applications to enhance governance at Greek SMEs are provided. Tools applied are (1) A new SME governance indicator; (2) Hoshin management; and (3) Effective meeting technology. The three tools interact in a systemic mode.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad del CEMA in its series CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. with number 494.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Av. Córdoba 374, (C1054AAP) Capital Federal
Phone: (5411) 6314-3000
Fax: (5411) 4314-1654
Web page: http://www.cema.edu.ar/publicaciones/doc_trabajo.html
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-03 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Enrique Yacuzzi, 2008. "A governance indicator for small and medium-sized enterprises," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 390, Universidad del CEMA.
- Enrique Yacuzzi & Mauricio Naiberger, 2009. "Un sistema de reuniones eficaces: su aplicación en Tejedurías Naiberger," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 400, Universidad del CEMA.
- Enrique Yacuzzi, 2005. "A primer on governance and performance in small and medium-sized enterprises," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 293, Universidad del CEMA.
- Enrique Yacuzzi, 2005. "La gestión HOSHIN: Modelos, aplicaciones, características distintivas," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 316, Universidad del CEMA.
- Enrique Antonio Yacuzzi, 2013. "Simple techniques to enhance the governance of a family business," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 517, Universidad del CEMA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valeria Dowding).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.