El problema de desempleo en la economía andaluza (1990-2001): análisis de la transición desde la educación al mercado laboral
AbstractIn this paper we examine some differential facts of the Andalusian labour market in comparison with the Spanish one, concentrating on the higher incidence of youth unemployment in Andalusia. Our results show that the probability that the Andalusian young workers quickly find their first significant employment is much lower than that of the rest of Spaniards. We find clear evidence that the main effects upon this probability are that of the business cycle, of individual education and also of parents educational attainment. Furthermore, the effect of this variable is much larger in Andalusia than in the rest of Spain, what we interpret as evidence about channels of information in Andalusia being more imperfect. Finally, we find some evidence that an university degree contribute less to have a lower expected unemployment duration in Andalusia than in the rest of Spain.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centro de Estudios Andaluces in its series Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces with number E2002/17.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
duration analysis; unemployment duration; marital sorting;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-04-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2003-04-09 (European Economics)
- NEP-HIS-2003-04-09 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cristina Ferná, . "The Role of Education vis-à-vis Job Experience in Explaining the Transitions to Employment in the Spanish Youth Labour Market," Working Papers 2003-06, FEDEA.
- Ines Murillo & Fernando Núñez & Carlos Usabiaga, 2005. "Differentials and persistence in unemployment - an analysis of the Spanish regions with the highest unemployment rates," ERSA conference papers ersa05p278, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Teresa Rodríguez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.