Getting Talk Back on Target: The Exchange Rate and the Inflation Rate
AbstractRecent efforts by the Bank of Canada to “talk down” the dollar in its public statements have led to public perceptions that the Bank is considering action to weaken it.In permitting this response to gather momentum, the Bank has stepped onto a slippery slope, because if talk seems to be failing, people might reasonably expect direct intervention in the exchange market to follow.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.D. Howe Institute in its series e-briefs with number 89.
Length: 4 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2009
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published on the C.D. Howe Institute website, December 2009
Bank of Canada; inflation rate; exchange rate;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- E4 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2010-01-16 (Central Banking)
- NEP-IFN-2010-01-16 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2010-01-16 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2010-01-16 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristine Gray).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.