Ownership and Efficiency in Nuclear Power Production
AbstractThis paper uses data envelopment analysis to examine the relative productive efficiency of a sample of seventy-eight publicly and privately owned nuclear power plants operating during the year 1989. The sample includes thirteen U.K. nuclear power plants. Linear programs are used to calculate a variety of plant specific efficiency scores, including measures which attempt to adjust for vintage effects. Nonparametric and Tobit/OLS analysis is employed to test the null hypothesis that ownership has no effect on productive efficiency. The results tentatively suggest that the U.K. plants could expect to reduce costs through significantly lower staffing levels. Copyright 1996 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge in its series Cambridge Working Papers in Economics with number 9518.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/index.htm
NUCLEAR POWER; PRODUCTION;
Other versions of this item:
- Pollitt, Michael G, 1996. "Ownership and Efficiency in Nuclear Power Production," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(2), pages 342-60, April.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Assaf, A. George & Barros, Carlos Pestana & Managi, Shunsuke, 2011. "Cost efficiency of Japanese steam power generation companies: A Bayesian comparison of random and fixed frontier models," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(4), pages 1441-1446, April.
- Carlos Pestana Barros, 2008.
"Identification of Segments of Thermo Energy Plants with a Latent Class Model,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2008/11, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Carlos Pestana Barros, 2008. "Identification of Segments of Thermo Energy Plants with a Latent Class Model," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/16, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Zuzana Kučerová, 2012. "Measuring of Efficiency in the Public and Private Sector – Current Research Approaches," Český finanční a účetní časopis, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(2), pages 110-125.
- R. Russell & William Schworm, 2009.
"Axiomatic foundations of efficiency measurement on data-generated technologies,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 77-86, April.
- R. Robert Russell & William Schworm, 2007. "Axiomatic Foundations of Efficiency Measurement on Data-Generated Technologies," Discussion Papers 2007-35, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Jorge Pinilla & Joaquim Vergés, 2007. "Efectos De La Privatización En La Eficiencia De Iberia Líneas Aéreas De España S.A," Revista Economía y Administración, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Administrativas, Universidad de Concepción, vol. 69, pages 7-38, December.
- Tupper, Henrique Cesar & Resende, Marcelo, 2004. "Efficiency and regulatory issues in the Brazilian water and sewage sector: an empirical study," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 29-40, March.
- Iglesias-Gómez, Guillermo & Seijas Díaz, A., 2008. "Evaluación de la eficiencia productiva de los parques eólicos gallegos," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 26, pages 167-194, Septiembr.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana, 2008. "Efficiency analysis of hydroelectric generating plants: A case study for Portugal," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 59-75, January.
- Preetum Domah, 2002. "Technical efficiency in electricity generation - the impact of smallness and isolation of island economies," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0232, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- See, Kok Fong & Coelli, Tim, 2012. "An analysis of factors that influence the technical efficiency of Malaysian thermal power plants," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 677-685.
- Briec, Walter & Peypoch, Nicolas & Ratsimbanierana, Hermann, 2011. "Productivity growth and biased technological change in hydroelectric dams," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 853-858, September.
- Raczka, Jan, 2001. "Explaining the performance of heat plants in Poland," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 355-370, July.
- Barros, Carlos P. & Peypoch, Nicolas, 2007. "The determinants of cost efficiency of hydroelectric generating plants: A random frontier approach," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 4463-4470, September.
- Iglesias, Guillermo & Castellanos, Pablo & Seijas, Amparo, 2010. "Measurement of productive efficiency with frontier methods: A case study for wind farms," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1199-1208, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.