Changing of the guard - Challenges ahead for the new ECB president
AbstractJean-Claude Trichet deserves praise for fighting inflation and his handling of the financial crisis of 2007-2009. But his legacy is unfinished and we still have to see whether he will be the one who saved the euro. Important challenges remain for the incoming president.First, trust of citizens in the ECB has fallenmassively according to the Eurobarometer survey inmany euro area countries, including Germany and Greece. Trust needs to be regained. Second, the ECBâ??s stance on Greece needs to be reversed both as regards financial sector participation and SMP. The SMP for Italy can be justified but can only be a temporary solution. The ECB will therefore have to further push for a fiscal lender-of-last-resort back-stop that can also exercise conditionality.Third, a rate cut should be considered at this point in time but upcoming political pressure to increase inflation needs to be resisted.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bruegel in its series Policy Contributions with number 600.
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-09-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2011-09-22 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MON-2011-09-22 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zsolt Darvas, 2011.
"Debt restructuring in the euro area: A necessary but manageable evil?,"
- Zsolt Darvas, 2011. "Debt restructuring in the euro area: a necessary but manageable evil?," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1133, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2011. "Debt Restructuring in the Euro Area: a Necessary but Manageable Evil?," Working Papers 1104, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest.
- Paul De Grauwe, 2011. "The European Central Bank: Lender of Last Resort in the Government Bond Markets?," CESifo Working Paper Series 3569, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruegel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.