Cold Start for the Green Innovation Machine
AbstractThis Policy Contribution accompanies the Policy Brief, Â?No Green Growth Without InnovationÂ?. Written by Senior Non-Resident Fellow Philippe Aghion, Senior Resident Fellow Reinhilde Veugelers and Researcher ClÃ©ment Serre, this paper discusses the state of green innovation and goes into more depth in discussing the current problems in the area. Examining research and development, patent, and venture capital data, the authors point out that there is momentum for private investment in green technologies. However, they argue that, thus far, the implicit tax rate on energy in the EU27 is too low and fragmented, the carbon price in the EU Emissions Trading System is too volatile, and the public R&D expenditures dedicated to energy and environment are too low. They conclude that immediate state intervention is necessary, at least at the onset, to ensure that the Â?green innovation machineÂ? gets properly started.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bruegel in its series Policy Contributions with number 354.
Date of creation: Nov 2009
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Giulio Cainelli & Massimiliano Mazzanti & Simone Borghesi, 2012. "The European Emission Trading Scheme and environmental innovation diffusion: Empirical analyses using Italian CIS data," Working Papers 201201, University of Ferrara, Department of Economics.
- Simone Borghesi & Giulio Cainelli & Massimiliano Mazzanti, 2012. "Brown Sunsets and Green Dawns in the Industrial Sector: Environmental Innovations, Firm Behavior and the European Emission Trading," Working Papers 2012.03, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Grégoire Garsous, 2011. "On Clean Technology Diffusion Mechanisms," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2011-013, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- De Perthuis, Christian & Rosier, Philippe & Crassous, Renaud & Bonnet, Xavier & Ollivier, TimothÃ©e & Guillerminet, Marie-Laure & Lamotte, Henri & Crifo, Patricia & Bureau, Dominique & Quinet, Alain &, . "Le financement de la croissance verte," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7769, Paris Dauphine University.
- Martin Wörter & Tobias Stucki & Christian Soltmann, 2013. "The Performance Effect of Environmental Innovations," KOF Working papers 13-330, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2012. "Which policy instruments to induce clean innovating?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(10), pages 1770-1778.
- repec:hal:wpaper:hal-00866408 is not listed on IDEAS
- FrÃ©dÃ©ric Branger & Oskar Lecuyer & Philippe Quirion, 2013. "The European Union Emissions Trading System : should we throw the flagship out with the bathwater ?," CIRED Working Papers hal-00866408, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruegel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.