Output potenziale, gap e inflazione in Italia nel lungo periodo (1861-2010): un’analisi econometrica
AbstractWe exploit the new historical national accounts data for Italy over the period 1861-2010, built by Banca d'Italia and Istat, with the collaboration of the University of Rome "Tor Vergata". In the first part of the paper, a thorough study of the new data's statistical properties is presented mainly aimed to analyse the variability of the cyclical component of constant price GDP. The GDP cyclical component, interpreted as output gap, is used, in the second part of the paper, to assess the Phillips curve's ability to explain inflation dynamics over a wide variety of circumstances, over the 150 years of the country's history. In Italy, the relation linking inflation with the cyclical situation in the economy emerged only after World War I, while in US and UK it was operating already in the mid 19th century.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area in its series Quaderni di storia economica (Economic History Working Papers) with number 29.
Date of creation: Feb 2013
Date of revision:
macroeconomic history; output gap; structural break; principal components; volatility; triangle model; New Keynesian Phillips curve; industrialization;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C26 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Instrumental Variables (IV) Estimation
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- N13 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - Europe: Pre-1913
- N14 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - Europe: 1913-
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Riccardo De Bonis & Andrea Silvestrini, 2013. "The Italian financial cycle: 1861-2011," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 936, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.