On Stock Market Returns and Returns on Investments
AbstractThis article presents general conditions under which it is possible to obtain asset pricing relations from the intertemporal optimal investment decision of the firm. Under the assumption of linear homogeneous production and adjustment cost functions, it is possible to establish, state by state, the equality between the return on investment and the market return of the financial claims issued by the firm. This result proves to be, in essence, robust to the consideration of very general constraints on investment and the inclusion of taxes. Copyright 1994 by American Finance Association.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de Espa�a in its series Banco de Espa�a Working Papers with number 9311.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 1993
Date of revision:
financial market ; investments;
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Huang, Dayong & Wang, Fang, 2009. "Cash, investments and asset returns," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2301-2311, December.
- Erica X. N. Li & Dmitry Livdan & Lu Zhang, 2009.
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(11), pages 4301-4334, November.
- Gomes, Joao F & Yaron, Amir & Zhang, Lu, 2002.
"Asset Pricing Implications of Firms' Financing Constraints,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3495, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- João F. Gomes & Amir Yaron & Lu Zhang, 2006. "Asset Pricing Implications of Firms' Financing Constraints," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 19(4), pages 1321-1356.
- Joao Gomes & Amir Yaron & Lu Zhang, 2002. "Asset Pricing Implications of Firms' Financing Constraints," NBER Working Papers 9365, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kevin L. Reffett & Frank Schorfheide, 2000. "Evaluating Asset Pricing Implications of DSGE Models," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1630, Econometric Society.
- Belo, Frederico, 2010. "Production-based measures of risk for asset pricing," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 146-163, March.
- Lars Lochstoer & Harjoat S. Bhamra, 2009. "Return Predictability and Labor Market Frictions in a Real Business Cycle Model," 2009 Meeting Papers 1257, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Toni M. Whited & Lu Zhang, 2006. "Testing the q-Theory of Anomalies," 2006 Meeting Papers 380, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- H. Youn Kim, 2003. "Intertemporal production and asset pricing: a duality approach," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 55(2), pages 344-379, April.
- Nicholas Apergis & James E. Payne, 2013. "New Evidence on the Information and Predictive Content of the Baltic Dry Index," International Journal of Financial Studies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 1(3), pages 62-80, July.
- Bakshi, Gurdip S. & Chen, Zhiwu & Naka, Atsuyuki, 1995. "Production-based asset pricing in Japan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 3(2-3), pages 217-240, July.
- Kasa, Kenneth, 1997. "Consumption-based versus production-based models of international equity markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 653-680, September.
- Padamja Singal & Stephen D. Smith, 1999. "Expected stock returns and volatility in a production economy: a theory and some evidence," Working Paper 99-8, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Georg Kaltenbrunner & Lars Lochstoer, 2007. "Long-Run Risk through Consumption Smoothing," 2007 Meeting Papers 25, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Peng, Yajun & Shawky, Hany, 1997. "Productivity shocks and capital asset pricing," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 303-316.
- Hori, Keiichi, 1997. "Japanese stock returns and investment: A test of production-based asset pricing model," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 37-56, March.
- Lars-Alexander Kuehn, 2007. "Time-to-Build and Asset Prices," 2007 Meeting Papers 1015, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Shawky, Hany & Peng, Yajun, 1995. "Expected stock returns, real business activity and consumption smoothing," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 143-154.
- Dumas, Bernard & Harvey, Campbell R. & Ruiz, Pierre, 2000.
"Are Correlations of Stock Returns Justified by Subsequent Changes in National Outputs?,"
00-2, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Dumas, Bernard & Harvey, Campbell R. & Ruiz, Pierre, 2003. "Are correlations of stock returns justified by subsequent changes in national outputs?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 777-811, November.
- Eisfeldt, Andrea L. & Rampini, Adriano A., 2007. "New or used? Investment with credit constraints," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(8), pages 2656-2681, November.
- Hsu, Po-Hsuan, 2009. "Technological innovations and aggregate risk premiums," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 264-279, November.
- Andrew Y. Chen, 2013. "External Habit in a Production Economy," 2013 Papers pch1244, Job Market Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mar�a Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de Espa�a).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.