The Future Prospects for National Financial Markets and Trading Centres
AbstractThis paper investigates the effects of the continuation of globalization and technological developments on the future of national-level financial markets and trading centres, particularly in smaller countries such as Canada. We foresee the development of a single global market in the most-liquid assets based on equity-market linkages. Thus, we see this global market being accessed by national-level trading centres. Moreover, we see a remaining role for national-level intermediated markets for less-liquid products. This could pose some problems as the scale of the latter could diminish over time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Canada in its series Working Papers with number 01-10.
Length: 47 pages
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G9, Canada
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Schröder, Michael & Köke, Jens, 2002.
"The Prospects of Capital Markets in Central and Eastern Europe,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
02-57, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Jens Köke & Michael Schröder, 2003. "The Prospects of Capital Markets in Central and Eastern Europe," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(4), pages 5-37, July.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Schmiedel , Heiko, 2003.
"Do networks in the stock exchange industry pay off? European evidence,"
Research Discussion Papers
2/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Iftekhar Hasan & Heiko Schmiedel, 2004. "Do networks in the stock exchange industry pay off? European evidence," International Finance 0405002, EconWPA.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-François L'Her & Jean-Marc Suret, 2007. "Competition and Survival of Stock Exchanges: Lessons From Canada," CIRANO Working Papers 2007s-26, CIRANO.
- Schmiedel, Heiko, 2002. "Total factor productivity growth in European stock exchanges: A non-parametric frontier approach," Research Discussion Papers 11/2002, Bank of Finland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.