Moving from Pay as You Go to Privately Managed Individual Pension Accounts: What have we learned after 25 years of the Chilean Pension Reform?
AbstractThis paper presents a brief history of pension reform in Chile, and the reasons behind the introduction of individual privately-managed accounts in 1981, as well as the adjustments to the system introduced in 2006-07. The main conclusions are that the system is sound, but the reinforcement of the social protection to low income-low contribution workers was a necessary step, given the problems of the formal labour market. This adjustment is also feasible since the budgetary expenses linked to the transition of the 1981 reform are entering the decreasing phase, opening room for these adjustments. We emphasize the importance of economic growth for the good performance of the pension system, reversing one of the traditional arguments for pension reform. Finally we explore elements that must be taken into account when designing this type of pension reform
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department in its series Working Papers with number 0805.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
pension reform; Chile; economic growth; market reforms; labour market; fiscal policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G23 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Non-bank Financial Institutions; Financial Instruments; Institutional Investors
- H55 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Social Security and Public Pensions
- O4 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bertranou, Fabio & Calvo, Esteban & Bertranou, Evelina, 2010.
"¿Está Latinoamérica alejándose de las cuentas individuales de pensiones?
[Is Latin America Retreating from Individual Retirement Accounts?]," MPRA Paper 48751, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fabio Bertranou & Esteban Calvo & Evelina Bertranou, 2009.
"Is Latin America Retreating From Individual Retirement Accounts?,"
Issues in Brief
ib2009-9-14, Center for Retirement Research, revised Jul 2009.
- Bertranou, Fabio & Calvo, Esteban & Bertranou, Evelina, 2009. "Is Latin America retreating from individual retirement accounts?," MPRA Paper 17422, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ANGIE CAROLINA SUAREZ SALAZAR).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.