Stellenwert und Bedeutung von Innovationsnetzwerken fuer Unternehmensgruendungen
AbstractThe main focus of this paper is on the examination of the role and importance of innovation networks in the decision to found a firm and after entry to the market has taken place. For newly-founded firms from business sectors with high innovation intensity, the implications resulting from the involvement of ‚start-ups‘ in a network of innovation are more closely analyzed. The examinations show, on the one hand, that contact to innovation networks has a positive effect on the decision-making behaviour of those wishing to found a firm. The empirical analysis, on the other hand, underline the fact that membership of a network plays an important role after entry to the market has taken place. By exploiting external resources, ‚start-ups‘ can expand internally available R&D capacities and reduce (financial) restrictions on resource provision. This makes it possible to a notable extent to realize synergy effects and learn strategies for the commercial exploitation of innovation efforts. Finally, multivariate estimations show that network membership has a statistically highly significant effect - measured by turnover or the development of the number of employees - on the growth and market success of newly-founded firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 237.
Date of creation: May 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universitaetsstrasse 16, D-86159 Augsburg, Germany
Phone: +49 821 598 4060
Fax: +49 821 598 4217
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-augsburg.de/vwl/institut
More information through EDIRC
Innovation Network; Start-ups; Newly-founded Firms; Innovation Behavior; Technological Opportunities;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Walter Komar, 2005. "Kooperationsneigung, Vernetzung und Erfolg von Unternehmen - Das Beispiel der Biotechnologiebranche," IWH Discussion Papers 2, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Albrecht Bossert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.