How Unlucky is 25-Sigma?
AbstractOne of the more memorable moments of last summer's credit crunch came when the CFO of Goldman Sachs, David Viniar, announced in August that Goldman's flagship GEO hedge fund had lost 27% of its value since the start of the year. As Mr. Viniar explained, "We were seeing things that were 25-standard deviation moves, several days in a row."
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1103.5672.
Date of creation: Mar 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
Other versions of this item:
- Dowd, Kevin & Cotter, John & Humphrey, Christopher & Woods, Margaret, 2008. "How unlucky is 25-Sigma?," Open Access publications from University College Dublin urn:hdl:10197/1625, University College Dublin.
- Kevin Dowd & Margaret Woods & John Cotter & Chris Humphrey, 2010. "How Unlucky is 25-Sigma?," Working Papers 200838, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.