Asymptotics of Random Contractions
AbstractIn this paper we discuss the asymptotic behaviour of random contractions $X=RS$, where $R$, with distribution function $F$, is a positive random variable independent of $S\in (0,1)$. Random contractions appear naturally in insurance and finance. Our principal contribution is the derivation of the tail asymptotics of $X$ assuming that $F$ is in the max-domain of attraction of an extreme value distribution and the distribution function of $S$ satisfies a regular variation property. We apply our result to derive the asymptotics of the probability of ruin for a particular discrete-time risk model. Further we quantify in our asymptotic setting the effect of the random scaling on the Conditional Tail Expectations, risk aggregation, and derive the joint asymptotic distribution of linear combinations of random contractions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1008.0126.
Date of creation: Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tang, Qihe & Yang, Fan, 2012. "On the Haezendonck–Goovaerts risk measure for extreme risks," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 217-227.
- Yang, Yang & Hashorva, Enkelejd, 2013. "Extremes and products of multivariate AC-product risks," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 312-319.
- Qu, Zhihui & Chen, Yu, 2013. "Approximations of the tail probability of the product of dependent extremal random variables and applications," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 169-178.
- Hashorva, Enkelejd & Li, Jinzhu, 2013. "ECOMOR and LCR reinsurance with gamma-like claims," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 206-215.
- Guillén, Montserrat & Sarabia, José María & Prieto, Faustino, 2013. "Simple risk measure calculations for sums of positive random variables," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 273-280.
- Yang, Yingying & Hu, Shuhe & Wu, Tao, 2011. "The tail probability of the product of dependent random variables from max-domains of attraction," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(12), pages 1876-1882.
- Hashorva, Enkelejd & Ling, Chengxiu & Peng, Zuoxiang, 2014. "Second-order tail asymptotics of deflated risks," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 88-101.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.