Asymptotics of Random Contractions
AbstractIn this paper we discuss the asymptotic behaviour of random contractions $X=RS$, where $R$, with distribution function $F$, is a positive random variable independent of $S\in (0,1)$. Random contractions appear naturally in insurance and finance. Our principal contribution is the derivation of the tail asymptotics of $X$ assuming that $F$ is in the max-domain of attraction of an extreme value distribution and the distribution function of $S$ satisfies a regular variation property. We apply our result to derive the asymptotics of the probability of ruin for a particular discrete-time risk model. Further we quantify in our asymptotic setting the effect of the random scaling on the Conditional Tail Expectations, risk aggregation, and derive the joint asymptotic distribution of linear combinations of random contractions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1008.0126.
Date of creation: Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guillén, Montserrat & Sarabia, José María & Prieto, Faustino, 2013. "Simple risk measure calculations for sums of positive random variables," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 273-280.
- Yang, Yingying & Hu, Shuhe & Wu, Tao, 2011. "The tail probability of the product of dependent random variables from max-domains of attraction," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(12), pages 1876-1882.
- Hashorva, Enkelejd & Li, Jinzhu, 2013. "ECOMOR and LCR reinsurance with gamma-like claims," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 206-215.
- Qu, Zhihui & Chen, Yu, 2013. "Approximations of the tail probability of the product of dependent extremal random variables and applications," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 169-178.
- Yang, Yang & Hashorva, Enkelejd, 2013. "Extremes and products of multivariate AC-product risks," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 312-319.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.