A k-generalized statistical mechanics approach to income analysis
AbstractThis paper proposes a statistical mechanics approach to the analysis of income distribution and inequality. A new distribution function, having its roots in the framework of k-generalized statistics, is derived that is particularly suitable to describe the whole spectrum of incomes, from the low-middle income region up to the high-income Pareto power-law regime. Analytical expressions for the shape, moments and some other basic statistical properties are given. Furthermore, several well-known econometric tools for measuring inequality, which all exist in a closed form, are considered. A method for parameter estimation is also discussed. The model is shown to fit remarkably well the data on personal income for the United States, and the analysis of inequality performed in terms of its parameters reveals very powerful.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 0902.0075.
Date of creation: Jan 2009
Date of revision: Feb 2009
Publication status: Published in Journal of Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Experiment, 16 February 2009, start page: P02037
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-26 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Masato Okamoto, 2012. "Evaluation of the goodness of fit of new statistical size distributions with consideration of accurate income inequality estimation," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(4), pages 2969-2982.
- F. Chami Figueira & N. J. Moura Jr & Marcelo B. Ribeiro, 2010.
"The Gompertz-Pareto Income Distribution,"
- Chami Figueira, F. & Moura, N.J. & Ribeiro, M.B., 2011. "The Gompertz–Pareto income distribution," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 390(4), pages 689-698.
- F. Clementi & M. Gallegati & G. Kaniadakis, 2012. "A generalized statistical model for the size distribution of wealth," Papers 1209.4787, arXiv.org, revised Dec 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.