Tail probabilities and partial moments for quadratic forms in multivariate generalized hyperbolic random vectors
AbstractCountless test statistics can be written as quadratic forms in certain random vectors, or ratios thereof. Consequently, their distribution has received considerable attention in the literature. Except for a few special cases, no closed-form expression for the cdf exists, and one resorts to numerical methods. Traditionally the problem is analyzed under the assumption of joint Gaussianity; the algorithm that is usually employed is that of Imhof (1961). The present manuscript generalizes this result to the case of multivariate generalized hyperbolic (MGHyp) random vectors. The MGHyp is a very flexible distribution which nests, among others, the multivariate t, Laplace, and variance gamma distributions. An expression for the first partial moment is also obtained, which plays a vital role in financial risk management. The proof involves a generalization of the classic inversion formula due to Gil-Pelaez (1951). Two applications are considered: first, the finite-sample distribution of the 2SLS estimator of a structural parameter. Second, the Value at Risk and Expected Shortfall of a quadratic portfolio with heavy-tailed risk factors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universiteit van Amsterdam, Dept. of Econometrics in its series UvA-Econometrics Working Papers with number 13-04.
Date of creation: 01 May 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Dept. of Econometrics, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Valckenierstraat 65, NL - 1018 XE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Web page: http://www.ase.uva.nl/uva-econometrics
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Simon A. Broda, 2013. "Tail Probabilities and Partial Moments for Quadratic Forms in Multivariate Generalized Hyperbolic Random Vectors," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-001/III, Tinbergen Institute.
- C16 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Econometric and Statistical Methods; Specific Distributions
- C36 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Instrumental Variables (IV) Estimation
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2013-08-31 (Econometrics)
- NEP-RMG-2013-08-31 (Risk Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Simon A. Broda & Raymond Kan, 2013. "On Distributions of Ratios," UvA-Econometrics Working Papers 13-10, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Dept. of Econometrics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Noud P.A. van Giersbergen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.