Economic Returns to Public Agricultural Research
AbstractOver the last several decades, the U.S. agricultural sector has sustained impressive productivity growth. The Nation's agricultural research system, including Federal-State public research as well as private-sector research, has been a key driver of this growth. Economic analysis finds strong and consistent evidence that investment in agricultural research has yielded high returns per dollar spent. These returns include benefits not only to the farm sector but also to the food industry and consumers in the form of more abundant commodities at lower prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service in its series Economic Brief with number 6388.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1400 Independence Ave.,SW, Mail Stop 1800, Washington, DC 20250-1800
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
Agriculture; productivity; productivity growth; technology; total factor productivity; TFP; research investments; food; input; output; crop yield; agricultural research; agricultural output; public spending; private sector research; ERS; USDA; Production Economics; Productivity Analysis; Research and Development/Tech Change/Emerging Technologies;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Malcolm, Scott A. & Marshall, Elizabeth P. & Aillery, Marcel P. & Heisey, Paul W. & Livingston, Michael J. & Day-Rubenstein, Kelly A., 2012. "Agricultural Adaptation to a Changing Climate: Economic and Environmental Implications Vary by U.S. Region," Economic Research Report 127734, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Warr, Peter G., 2012. "Research and agricultural productivity in Indonesia," 2012 Conference (56th), February 7-10, 2012, Freemantle, Australia 124475, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Anonymous, 2008. "The 30-Year Challenge: Agriculture's Strategic Role in Feeding and Fueling a Growing World," Issue Reports 45719, Farm Foundation.
- Rao, Xudong & Hurley, Terrance M. & Pardey, Philip G., 2012.
"Recalibrating the Reported Rates of Return to Food and Agricultural R&D,"
2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington
124581, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Rao, Xudong & Hurley, Terrance M. & Pardey, Philip G., 2012. "Recalibrating the Reported Rates of Return to Food and Agricultural R&D," Staff Papers 135018, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- King, John L. & Toole, Andrew A. & Fuglie, Keith O., 2012. "The Complementary Roles of the Public and Private Sectors in U.S. Agricultural Research and Development," Economic Brief 138925, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Sun, Ling & Ball, V. Eldon & Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Plastina, Alejandro S., 2009. "Impact of local public goods on agricultural productivity growth in the U.S," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49333, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Nolan, Elizabeth & Santos, Paulo, 2009. "Evidence for increasing concentration in plant breeding industries in the United States and the European Union," 2009 Conference (53rd), February 11-13, 2009, Cairns, Australia 48060, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Briones, Roehlano M. & Galang, Ivory Myka R., 2012. "Assessment of Prospective Impact of Fruits and Vegetables Research at the Industry Level in the Philippines: the Case of the ACIAR-PCAARRD Horticulture Project," Discussion Papers DP 2012-40, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- John W. Mellor, 2008. "Agricultural Development and Food Security(The Allama Iqbal Memorial Lecture)," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 47(4), pages 357-380.
- Waleerat Suphannachart & Peter Warr, 2010. "Total Factor Productivity in Thai Agriculture Measurement and Determinants," Working Papers 201001, Kasetsart University, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.