Characteristics and Risk Management Needs of Limited-Resource and Socially Disadvantaged Farmers
AbstractSmall U.S. farms and those run by socially disadvantaged minority operators tend not to purchase insurance or to participate in insurance-type programs operated by USDA. This report traces the lack of use of such risk management measures to several characteristics of such farmers, who include females, blacks, American Indians, Asian/Pacific Islanders, and operators of Spanish origin. These farmers tend, more than the typical U.S. farm, to raise livestock rather than crops, and there are no government-sponsored insurance-type programs for livestock.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service in its series Agricultural Information Bulletins with number 33622.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1400 Independence Ave.,SW, Mail Stop 1800, Washington, DC 20250-1800
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
risk management; crop insurance; limited-resource farmers; limited-opportunity farmers; small farms; socially disadvantaged farmers; Farm Management; Risk and Uncertainty;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Onianwa, Odili & Wheelock, Gerald & Gyawali, Buddhi Raj, 2003. "Factors Affecting Participation Behavior Of Limited Resource Farmers In Cost-Share Programs In Alabama," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22244, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Gan, Jianbang & Kebede, Ellene, 1999. "The Economic Potential Of Vegetable Production For Limited Resource Farmers In South Central Alabama," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 17(1).
- Vergara, Oscar & Coble, Keith H. & Patrick, George F. & Knight, Thomas O. & Baquet, Alan E., 2004. "Farm Income Variability and the Supply of Off-Farm Labor by Limited-Resource Farmers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(02), August.
- Jefferson-Moore, Kenrett Y. & Bynum, Jarvetta S. & Mosley, Jannety M., 2008. "Wine Grape Production: A Promising Enterprise for Small Scale Enterprises in North Carolina?," 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas 6838, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Temel, Tugrul, 2011. "New facts for old debates: Farm size and productivity in US agriculture," MPRA Paper 31920, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gyawali, Buddhi Raj & Onianwa, Okwudili O. & Wheelock, Gerald & Fraser, Rory, 2003. "Determinants Of Participation Behavior Of Limited Resource Farmers In Conservation Reserve Program In Alabama," 2003 Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2003, Mobile, Alabama 35047, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.