Optimal Coverage Level Choice with Individual and Area Plans of Insurance
AbstractWe theoretically examine a farmer’s coverage demand with area and individual insurance plans as either separate or integrated options. The individual and area losses are assumed to be imperfectly and positively correlated. With actuarially fair rates, the farmer will fully insure with the individual plan and demand no area insurance regardless of the plans being separate or integrated. Under separate plans, free area insurance and the fair rate for individual insurance, area insurance replaces a portion of individual insurance demand. Under integrated plans, free area insurance, and the fair rate for individual insurance, the farmer over-insures using both area and individual plans.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2011 Annual Meeting, February 5-8, 2011, Corpus Christi, Texas with number 98803.
Date of creation: 14 Jan 2011
Date of revision:
Agricultural risk; area plans of insurance; crop insurance; Agribusiness; Agricultural and Food Policy; Agricultural Finance; Crop Production/Industries; Demand and Price Analysis; Farm Management; Research Methods/ Statistical Methods; Risk and Uncertainty; D81; G22; Q12; Q18;
Other versions of this item:
- Bulut, Harun & Collins, Keith J. & Zacharias, Thomas P., 2011. "Optimal Coverage Level Choice with Individual and Area Plans of Insurance," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103185, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2011-04-16 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-IAS-2011-04-16 (Insurance Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bulut, Harun & Collins, Keith J., 2013. "Political Economy of Crop Insurance Risk Subsidies under Imperfect Information," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150577, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.