Mobile telephony as a change drivers in rural areas
AbstractThe aim of the paper is to reveal the most important causes of mobile telephony use by rural residents. In particular, the examination of the expected changes due to use of mobile phones and the assessment of the major causes that drive rural residents to desire mobile telephony access constitute the main objective of the paper. In addition, the study extends the employment of binomial econometric methodologies into rural development issues. Interesting results are revealed from the three discrete segments of rural populations regarding the drivers of mobile phone use. The majority of the users belong to the so-called “farmers”, where the dominant causes of mobile phone use are different from the rest ones. More specifically, causes such as region and number of young persons resisting in the households were among the main reasons that compel them to obtain mobile telephony subscription and use.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 118th Seminar, August 25-27, 2010, Ljubljana, Slovenia with number 95312.
Date of creation: Aug 2010
Date of revision:
binomial logit model; change facilitation; mobile telephony; rural areas; survey; Community/Rural/Urban Development; C01; D83; R11; R58;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C01 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Econometrics
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Adamides, G. & Stylianou, A., 2013. "ICT and Mobile Phone Use for Agricultural Knowledge Sharing by Cypriot Farmers," AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Czech University of Life Sciences Prague, Faculty of Economics and Management, vol. 5(2), June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.