Comparison of Alternative Sources of Farmland Values
AbstractConsistent and reliable data on farmland values is critical to assessing the overall financial health of agricultural producers. However, little is known about the idiosyncrasies and similarities of standard land value data sources – U.S. Department of Agriculture, Federal Reserve Bank land value surveys, and transaction prices. All three data sources are highly correlated, but transaction prices tend to be higher, especially for irrigated cropland and ranchland. USDA land values are reported as representing land values on January first, but instead they more closely represent first and second quarter land values according to a multi-state comparison to changes in quarterly Federal Reserve land values. Given the finding that first quarter Federal Reserve Bank land values lead USDA land values and that they are published before the USDA release, Federal Reserve land values are a timely indicator of agricultural producers’ financial position.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its series 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania with number 103758.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Christopher Zakrzewicz & B. Wade Brorsen & Brian C. Briggeman, 2012. "Comparison of alternative sources of farmland values," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 72(1), pages 68-86, March.
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- Q14 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Finance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-05-24 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Livanis, Grigorios T. & Moss, Charles B. & Breneman, Vincent E. & Nehring, Richard F., 2005. "Urban Sprawl and Farmland Prices," Working Papers 15657, University of Florida, International Agricultural Trade and Policy Center.
- Leah J. Tsoodle & Bill B. Golden & Allen M. Featherstone, 2006. "Factors Influencing Kansas Agricultural Farm Land Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 82(1), pages 124-139.
- Duke, Joshua M. & Awokuse, Titus O., 2004.
"The Causal Structure Of Land Price Determinants,"
2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO
20324, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Titus O. Awokuse & Joshua M. Duke, 2006. "The Causal Structure of Land Price Determinants," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 54(2), pages 227-245, 06.
- Pam Guiling & B. Wade Brorsen & Damona Doye, 2009. "Effect of Urban Proximity on Agricultural Land Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 85(2), pages 252-264.
- Andrew J. Plantinga & Douglas J. Miller, 2001. "Agricultural Land Values and the Value of Rights to Future Land Development," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 77(1), pages 56-67.
- Pamela Guiling & Damona Doye & B. Wade Brorsen, 2009. "Agricultural, recreational and urban influences on agricultural land prices," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 69(2), pages 196-205, July.
- Haixiao Huang & Gay Y. Miller & Bruce J. Sherrick & Miguel I. G�mez, 2006. "Factors Influencing Illinois Farmland Values," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(2), pages 458-470.
- Brian C. Briggeman & Michael A. Gunderson & Brent A. Gloy, 2009.
"The Financial Health of Agricultural Lenders,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1406-1413.
- Barry Falk & Bong-Soo Lee, 1998. "Fads versus Fundamentals in Farmland Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 696-707.
- Henderson, Jason R. & Moore, Sean, 2006. "The Capitalization of Wildlife Recreation Income into Farmland Values," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(03), December.
- Sanders, Dwight R. & Irwin, Scott H. & Leuthold, Raymond M., 2003. "The Theory Of Contrary Opinion: A Test Using Sentiment Indices In Futures Markets," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 21(1).
- Herriges, Joseph A. & Shogren, Jason F., 1992. "The Implicit Value of Corn Base Acreage," Staff General Research Papers 10788, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Falk, Barry L. & Lee, Bong-Soo, 1998. "Fads Versus Fundamentals in Farmland Prices," Staff General Research Papers 1306, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Leah J. Tsoodle & Allen M. Featherstone & Bill B. Golden, 2007. "Combining hedonic and negative exponential techniques to estimate the market value of land," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 67(2), pages 225-239, September.
- Vincent E. Breneman & Richard F. Nehring, 2006. "Urban Sprawl and Farmland Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(4), pages 915-929.
- Flanders, Archie & White, Fred C. & Escalante, Cesar L., 2004. "Comparing Land Values And Capitalization Of Cash Rents For Cropland And Pasture In Georgia," 2004 Annual Meeting, February 14-18, 2004, Tulsa, Oklahoma 34614, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Ashok K. Mishra & Fran�ois N. Ortalo-Magné, 2003. "What's Wrong with Our Models of Agricultural Land Values?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(3), pages 744-752.
- Schurle, Bryan & Featherstone, Allen & Wilson, Christine & Crossan, Dylan, 2013. "Land Prices During Periods of Rapid Change," Journal of the ASFMRA, American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.