Nonparametric Time-Varying Coefficient Panel Data Models with Fixed Effects
AbstractThis paper is concerned with developing a nonparametric time-varying coefficient model with fixed effects to characterize nonstationarity and trending phenomenon in nonlinear panel data analysis. We develop two methods to estimate the trend function and the coefficient function without taking the first difference to eliminate the fixed effects. The first one eliminates the fixed effects by taking cross-sectional averages, and then uses a nonparametric local linear approach to estimate the trend function and the coefficient function. The asymptotic theory for this approach reveals that although the estimates of both the trend function and the coefficient function are consistent, the estimate of the coefficient function has a rate of convergence that is slower than that of the trend function. To estimate the coefficient function more efficiently, we propose a pooled local linear dummy variable approach. This is motivated by a least squares dummy variable method proposed in parametric panel data analysis. This method removes the fixed effects by deducting a smoothed version of cross-time average from each individual. The asymptotic distributions of both of the estimates are established when T tends to infinity and N is fixed or both T and N tend to infinity. Simulation results are provided to illustrate the finite sample behavior of the proposed estimation methods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Adelaide, School of Economics in its series School of Economics Working Papers with number 2010-08.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision:
Fixed effects; local linear estimation; nonstationarity; panel data; specification testing; time-varying coeffcient function;
Other versions of this item:
- Degui Li & Jia Chen & Jiti Gao, 2011. "Non‐parametric time‐varying coefficient panel data models with fixed effects," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 14(3), pages 387-408, October.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2010-06-11 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2010-06-11 (Econometric Time Series)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lee, Yoon-Jin, 2014. "Testing a linear dynamic panel data model against nonlinear alternatives," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 178(P1), pages 146-166.
- Chen, Jia & Gao, Jiti & Li, Degui, 2012.
"Semiparametric trending panel data models with cross-sectional dependence,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 171(1), pages 71-85.
- Jia Chen & Jiti Gao & Degui Li, 2011. "Semiparametric Trending Panel Data Models with Cross-Sectional Dependence," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 15/11, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Jia Chen & Jiti Gao & Degui Li, 2010. "Semiparametric Trending Panel Data Models with Cross-Sectional Dependence," School of Economics Working Papers 2010-10, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Jia Chen & Degui Li & Jiti Gao, 2013. "Non- and Semi-Parametric Panel Data Models: A Selective Review," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 18/13, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Yonghui Zhang & Liangjun Su & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2011.
"Testing for Common Trends in Semiparametric Panel Data Models with Fixed Effects,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1832, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Yonghui Zhang & Liangjun Su & Peter C. B. Phillips, 2012. "Testing for common trends in semi‐parametric panel data models with fixed effects," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 15(1), pages 56-100, 02.
- Xiangjin B. Chen & Jiti Gao & Degui Li & Param Silvapulle, 2013. "Nonparametric Estimation and Parametric Calibration of Time-Varying Coefficient Realized Volatility Models," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 21/13, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Lena Korber & Oliver Linton & Michael Vogt, 2013. "A semiparametric model for heterogeneous panel data with fixed effects," CeMMAP working papers CWP02/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dmitriy Kvasov).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.