From localized to corporate excellence How do MNCs extract, combine and disseminate sticky knowledge from regional innovation systems?
AbstractMNCs and regional innovation systems differ widely in their knowledge generation and dissemination processes. We propose these differences provide systematic challenges for MNC units tapping into locally vested skills, combining their findings with existing knowledge and disseminating this internally. Our aim is to develop a framework for conceptualising the knowledge transfer process between MNCs and regional innovation systems. For that purpose we develop a conceptual model of the knowledge tapping process and a set of propositions
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies in its series DRUID Working Papers with number 05-16.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.druid.dk/
MNCs; Knowledge management; Industrial districts;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-11-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2005-11-05 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CBE-2005-11-05 (Cognitive & Behavioural Economics)
- NEP-INO-2005-11-05 (Innovation)
- NEP-TID-2005-11-05 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kuemmerle, Walter, 1999. "Foreign direct investment in industrial research in the pharmaceutical and electronics industries--results from a survey of multinational firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 179-193, March.
- Bj–rn Johnson & Edward Lorenz & Bengt-�ke Lundvall, 2002. "Why all this fuss about codified and tacit knowledge?," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 245-262.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keld Laursen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.