sales tax and electronic commerce
AbstractThis article reviews research on the taxation of electronic commerce, with a focus on sales taxes in the USA (where retailers are not always obligated to collect sales taxes for online sales). The literature has found evidence that sales taxes have large effects on buying behaviour online, which has important implications for seller behaviour, competition and public policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
This chapter was published in: Steven N. Durlauf & Lawrence E. Blume (ed.) , , chapter 1, pages , 2012,3rd quarter update.
This item is provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its series The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics with number v:6:year:2012:doi:3884.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- H71 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- K34 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - Tax Law
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- L81 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Retail and Wholesale Trade; e-Commerce
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sheeja Sanoj).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.