Clusterförderung und Wirtschaftspolitik - Heilsbringer oder Wolf im Schafspelz?
In: List Forum Band 33
AbstractThis paper provides a critical analysis of the widespread claim in economic policy of promoting ‚clus-ters’. Starting from the vague concept of clusters as promoted by PORTER at first it is investigated, if clus-ters really exist and if their existence exerts any benefits to regional economic development. Subsequently the rationale for promoting clusters is discussed from the viewpoint of economic policy. Finally the ques-tion is raised about the optimal implementation of cluster promotion. The findings show that the empirical evidence for the existence of clusters and their positive influence on regional economic development is not particularly overwhelming. The economic justification of cluster promotion crucially depends on the distinction between pecuniary and technological externalities as causes for the concentration of entrepre-neurial activities. Whereas pecuniary externalities are remunerated by markets, only technological exter-nalities may justify policies directed at the promotion of clusters. Altogether it shows up, that the promo-tion of clusters is associated with substantial implementation problems and that there are no convincing economic reasons for a preferential treatment of spatially concentrated enterprises. (Original text only available in german language)
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
This chapter was published in:
This item is provided by List Gesellschaft e.V. in its series List Forum Chapter with number 33-05.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität, Am Stadtgraben 9, D - 48143 Münster
Phone: + 49 (0) 2 51 - 83 2 29 04
Fax: + 49 (0) 2 51 - 83 2 83 95
Web page: http://www.list-gesellschaft.de
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zarth, Michael & Schnitzlein, Daniel D. & Bruckmeier, Kerstin, 2009. "Eine regionale Betrachtung der Sozialversicherung und raumwirksamer Bundesmittel: Wer partizipiert wie?," Forschungs- und Sitzungsberichte der ARL: Aufsätze, in: Öffentliche Finanzströme und räumliche Entwicklung, pages 105-134 Akademie für Raumforschung und Landesplanung (ARL) - Leibniz-Forum für Raumwissenschaften.
- Reinhold Kosfeld & Hans-Friedrich Eckey & Jørgen Lauridsen, 2009.
"Spatial Point Pattern Analysis and Industry Concentration,"
MAGKS Papers on Economics
200916, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Reinhold Kosfeld & Hans-Friedrich Eckey & Jørgen Lauridsen, 2011. "Spatial point pattern analysis and industry concentration," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 47(2), pages 311-328, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lukas Wnuk Lipinski) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Lukas Wnuk Lipinski to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.