Beyond the City: The Rural Contribution to Development
AbstractBeyond the City evaluates the contribution of rural development and policies to growth, poverty alleviation, and environmental degradation in the rest of the economy, as well as in the rural space. This title brings together new theoretical and empirical treatments of the links between rural and national development. New findings and are combined with existing literature to enhance our understanding of the how rural economic activities contribute to various aspects of national development. The study is based on original research funded by the World Bank's Office of the Chief Economist for Latin America and the Caribbean. Of particular relevance is the interaction between agricultural and territorial development issues. The empirical findings also make substantial contributions to the debate over the appropriate design of public policies aiming to enhance the rural contribution to national development, including economic growth, poverty reduction, environmental sustainability, and macroeconomic stability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 7328 and published in 2005.
Economic Theory and Research Agriculture - Agricultural Research Environmental Economics and Policies Agricultural Knowledge and Information Systems Health Economics and Finance Health; Nutrition and Population;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pisani, Elena & Franceschetti, Giorgio, 2011. "Territorial approaches for rural development in Latin America: a case study in Chile," MPRA Paper 42807, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 19 Apr 2011.
- Carlos Felipe Jaramillo & Daniel Lederman & Maurizio Bussolo & David Gould & Andrew Mason, 2006. "Challenges of CAFTA : Maximizing the Benefits for Central America," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7127, March.
- Pisani, Elena, 2010.
"El aporte de la ruralidad al desarrollo
[The Rural Contribution to Development]," MPRA Paper 23929, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 21 Jun 2010.
- Pisani, Elena, 2010.
"El aporte de la ruralidad al desarrollo
[The Rural Contribution to Development]," MPRA Paper 23410, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 21 Jun 2010.
- Pisani, Elena, 2010. "El aporte de la ruralidad al desarrollo
- Eric Parrado H. / & Paulo Cox P. & Marcelo Fuenzalida C., 2009. "Evolution of Housing Prices in Chile," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 12(1), pages 51-68, April.
- World Bank, 2007. "Pakistan : Promoting Rural Growth and Poverty Reduction," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7984, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2005. "Haiti : Diagnostic and Proposals for Agriculture and Rural Development Policies and Strategies," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8814, The World Bank.
- Khantachavana, Sivalai V. & Turvey, Calum G. & Kong, Rong & Xia, Xianli, 2013. "On the transaction values of land use rights in rural China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 863-878.
- Anderson, Kym & Valdes, Alberto, 2007.
"Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Latin America,"
Agricultural Distortions Working Paper
48558, World Bank.
- Kym Anderson & Alberto Valdés, 2008. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Latin America," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6604, March.
- Berdegué, J. & Jara, E. & Modrego, F. & Sanclemente, X. & Schejtman, A., 2010. "Comunas Rurales de Chile," Working papers 060, Rimisp Latin American Center for Rural Development.
- World Bank, 2007. "Costa Rica Poverty Assessment : Recapturing Momentum for Poverty Reduction," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7678, The World Bank.
- Christiaensen, Luc & Demery, Lionel & Kuhl, Jesper, 2006. "The role of agriculture in poverty reduction an empirical perspective," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4013, The World Bank.
- Lopez , J. Humberto & Perry, Guillermo, 2008. "Inequality in Latin America : determinants and consequences," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4504, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2010. "Paraguay Poverty Assessment : Determinants and Challenges for Poverty Reduction," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12585, The World Bank.
- Santos, Jesus de los & Pena, Pedro Pablo, 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in the Dominican Republic," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 48393, World Bank.
- World Bank, 2009. "Argentina : Income Support Policies toward the Bicentennial," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13531, March.
- Allcott, Hunt & Lederman, Daniel & Lopez, Ramon, 2006. "Political institutions, inequality, and agricultural growth : the public expenditure connection," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3902, The World Bank.
- Christiaensen,Luc & Demery,Lionel & Kuhl, Jesper, 2010.
"The (Evolving) Role of Agriculture in Poverty Reduction: An Empirical Perspective,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Working Paper W, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Christiaensen, Luc & Demery, Lionel & Kuhl, Jesper, 2011. "The (evolving) role of agriculture in poverty reduction--An empirical perspective," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 239-254, November.
- Valenzuela, Irina, 2013. "Activos y contexto económico: Factores relacionados con la pobreza en el Perú," Working Papers 2013-013, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Marcela González Rivas, 2007. "The effects of trade openness on regional inequality in Mexico," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 545-561, September.
- Pisani, Elena, 2010. "Beyond the agricultural sector in Latin America: territorial approaches for rural development," MPRA Paper 24975, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.