Cities on the Move : A World Bank Urban Transport Strategy Review
AbstractThe report's objectives are i) to better understand the nature and magnitude of urban transport problems, particularly in respect of the poor, and ii) to articulate a strategy by which the World Bank and other agencies can assist national and city governments to address these problems. The first part of the report considers how urban transport can be used as an instrument of urban development and poverty reduction. Chapter 2 discusses how transport reduces poverty. Chapter 3 examines how urban transport policies can be focused more specifically on meeting the needs of the poor but touches on other transport related aspects of the quality of life of poor people. Chapter 4 considers the urban environment, focusing on air pollution to which the poor are particularly vulnerable, while Chapter 5 considers problems of personal safety and security. The second part of the report considers how the objectives can be pursued by using a range of instruments. Chapter 6 considers the provision and management of road infrastructure. Chapter 7 discusses road based public transport, including the role of the informal sector. Chapter 8 considers the role and limitations of mass transit. Chapter 9 pays special attention to non-motorized transport. Chapter 10 raises the issues of pricing and financing, and Chapter 11, looks at institutional arrangements. Finally, Chapter 12 discusses the implications for the instruments and lending strategies of the Bank.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 15232 and published in 2002-08.
Urban Development - City Development Strategies Banks and Banking Reform Urban Transport Roads and Highways Urban Development - Municipal Financial Management Transport;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:wbk:wbpubs:15790 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kutzbach, Mark J., 2009. "Motorization in developing countries: Causes, consequences, and effectiveness of policy options," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 154-166, March.
- Murakami, Jin, 2010. "The Transit-Oriented Global Centers for Competitiveness and Livability: State Strategies and Market Responses in Asia," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt19034785, University of California Transportation Center.
- Parry, Ian W.H. & Timilsina, Govinda R., 2009. "Pricing externalities from passenger transportation in Mexico city," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5071, The World Bank.
- Peter Freeman & Kavita Mathur, 2008. "The Health Benefits of Transport Projects : A Review of the World Bank Transport Sector Lending Portfolio," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6404, March.
- Mulley, Corinne, 2010. "Promoting social inclusion in a deregulated environment: Extending accessibility using collective taxi-based services," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 296-303.
- Hwe, Siu Kei & Cheung, Raymond K. & Wan, Yat-wah, 2006. "Merging bus routes in Hong Kong's central business district: Analysis and models," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(10), pages 918-935, December.
- Parry, Ian W.H. & Timilsina, Govinda R., 2010.
"How should passenger travel in Mexico City be priced?,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 167-182, September.
- Parry, Ian W.H. & Timilsina, Govinda R., 2008. "How Should Passenger Travel in Mexico City Be Priced?," Discussion Papers dp-08-17, Resources For the Future.
- Andrés Gómez-Lobo Echeñique, 2007. "Affordability of public transport: a methodological clarification," Working Papers wp261, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Manchala, Ravibabu & Vagvala, Phani Sree, 2012. "Public transport for Indian urban agglomerations: A case for central role for surface rail," MPRA Paper 43357, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gwilliam, Kenneth, 2013. "Cities on the move – Ten years after," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 3-18.
- Murakami, Jin, 2010. "The Transit-Oriented Global Centers for Competitiveness and Livability: State Strategies and Market Responses in Asia," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt44g9t8mj, University of California Transportation Center.
- Mitric, Slobodan, 2013. "Urban transport lending by the World Bank: The last decade," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 19-33.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.