Standards and Global Trade : A Voice for Africa
AbstractThe book provides information, and guidance for policymakers, the development community, and others in the critical area of "behind the border" barriers to trade. With a view to promoting efforts to strengthen Africa's capacity to meet trade standards, and comply with technical regulations, the book examines the link between those standards, and regulations and export success in case studies of five countries: Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, South Africa, and Uganda. Each chapter describe the economic context of trade standards in a country, and examines the mechanisms by which standards, and regulations are established, and revised at the local, and international levels. The authors - local experts in the region - review existing trade regulations, and determine the extent to which they are consistent with international practices. They also analyze each country's physical infrastructure, organizational capacities, and current standard implementation process, and, consider the probable impact of new standards, regulations, and related production/marketing practices in key industries. The first comprehensive assessment of the relationship between trade standards, and development priorities in Sub-Saharan Africa, this book offers concrete action plans for supporting African firms, and farmers in their efforts to improve product quality, and reach international markets in key commodity sectors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 15131 and published in 2003.
Economic Theory and Research Agriculture - Agricultural Research Agricultural Knowledge and Information Systems Environmental Economics and Policies Health Economics and Finance Health; Nutrition and Population International Economics and Trade - Trade and Standards;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- van Wijk, J.C.A.C. & Danse, M. & van Tulder, R.J.M., 2008. "Making Retail Supply Chains Sustainable: Upgrading Opportunities for Developing Country Suppliers under Voluntary Quality Standards," ERIM Report Series Research in Management, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasm ERS-2008-080-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Olivier CADOT & Anne-CÃ©cilia DISDIER & Lionel FONTAGNÃ‰, 2012.
"North-South Standards Harmonization and International Trade,"
- Disdier, Anne-Celia & Fontagne, Lionel & Cadot, Olivier, 2013. "North-South standards harmonization and international trade," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6710, The World Bank.
- Olivier CADOT & Anne-CÃ©cilia DISDIER & Lionel FONTAGNÃ‰, 2012. "North-South Standards Harmonization and International Trade," Working Papers P42, FERDI.
- Olivier Cadot & Anne-CÃ©lia Disdier & Lionel FontagnÃ©, 2012. "North-South Standards Harmonization and International Trade," PSE - G-MOND WORKING PAPERS hal-00961733, HAL.
- Cadot, Olivier & Disdier, Anne-Célia & Fontagné, Lionel, 2012. "North-South Standards Harmonization and International Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 8767, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anne-CÃ©lia Disdier & Lionel FontagnÃ© & Olivier Cadot, 2014. "North-South Standards Harmonization and International Trade," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique", HAL hal-00975529, HAL.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Vandemoortele, Thijs, 2009.
"Trade, Development, and the Political Economy of Public Standards,"
113th Seminar, September 3-6, 2009, Chania, Crete, Greece, European Association of Agricultural Economists
58139, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Johan F.M. Swinnen & Thijs Vandemoortele, 2009. "Trade, Development, and the Political Economy of Public Standards," LICOS Discussion Papers, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven 23609, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Garcia Martinez, Marian & Poole, Nigel, 2004. "The development of private fresh produce safety standards: implications for developing Mediterranean exporting countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 229-255, June.
- J. Luis Guasch & Jean-Louis Racine & Isabel Sánchez & Makhtar Diop, 2007. "Quality Systems and Standards for a Competitive Edge," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6768.
- Neeliah, Shalini A. & Neeliah, Harris & Goburdhun, Daya, 2013. "Assessing the relevance of EU SPS measures to the food export sector: Evidence from a developing agro-food exporting country," Food Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 53-62.
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2006. "Standards as Barriers and Catalysts for Trade and Poverty Reduction," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25772, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.