World Development Report 2000/2001 : Attacking Poverty
AbstractThis report focuses on the dimensions of poverty, and how to create a better world, free of poverty. The analysis explores the nature, and evolution of poverty, and its causes, to present a framework for action. The opportunity for expanding poor people's assets is addressed, arguing that major reductions in human deprivation are indeed possible, that economic growth, inequality, and poverty reduction, can be harnessed through economic integration, and technological change, dependent not only on the evolvement of markets, but on the choices for public action at the global, national, and local levels. Actions to facilitate empowerment include state institutional responsiveness in building social institutions which will improve well-being, and health, to allow increased income-earning potential, access to education, and eventual removal of social barriers. Security aspects are enhanced, by assessing risk management towards reducing vulnerability to economic crises, and natural disasters. The report expands on the dimensions of human deprivation, to include powerlessness and voicelessness, vulnerability and fear. International dimensions are explored, through global actions to fight poverty, analyzing global trade, capital flows, and how to reform development assistance to forge change in the livelihoods of the poor.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 11856 and published in 2001.
Poverty Reduction - Achieving Shared Growth Poverty Reduction - Rural Poverty Reduction Poverty Reduction - Poverty Assessment Health; Nutrition and Population - Health Economics & Finance Poverty Reduction - Services & Transfers to Poor Poverty Reduction;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bernard M. Hoekman & Togan Sübidey, 2005. "Turkey : Economic Reform and Accession to the European Union," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7494.
- World Bank, 2004. "Mexico : Public Expenditure Review, Volume 2. Main Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15660, The World Bank.
- Dancer, Diane M. & Rammohan, Anu, 2004. "The Determinants of Schooling in Egypt: The Role of Gender and Rural-Urban Residence," Working Papers 1, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- World Bank, 2002. "Bulgaria : Poverty Assessment," World Bank Other Operational Studies 13868, The World Bank.
- Diao, Xinshen & Thurlow, James & Benin, Samuel & Fan, Shenggen, 2012.
"Strategies and priorities for African agriculture: Economywide perspectives from country studies,"
Xinshen Diao, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Diao, Xinshen & Thurlow, James & Benin, Samuel & Fan, Shenggen, 2012. "Strategies and priorities for African agriculture: Economywide perspectives from country studies," IFPRI books, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), number Xinshen Diao.
- World Bank, 2003. "Timor-Leste Poverty Assessment : Poverty in a New Nation - Analysis for Action, Volume 1. Main Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14435, The World Bank.
- Sofia Karina Trommlerová & Stephan Klasen & Ortrud Lessmann, 2013. "Determinants of Empowerment in a Capability Based Poverty Approach: Evidence from The Gambia," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 147, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Ballet, Jérôme & Sirven, Nicolas & Bhukuth, Augendra & Rousseau, Sophie, 2011. "Vulnerability to violence of girls of the street in Mauritania," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 656-662, May.
- Gifford, Blair & Kestler, Andrew, 2008. "Toward a theory of local legitimacy by MNEs in developing nations: Newmont mining and health sustainable development in Peru," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 340-352, December.
- World Bank, 2003. "Making Services Work for Poor People : The Role of Participatory Public Expenditure Management (PPEM)," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11318, The World Bank.
- Dancer, Diane M. & Rammohan, Anu, 2004. "Gender Differences in Schooling Attainment: The Role of Sibling Characteristics and Birth Order Effects," Working Papers 5, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- Mccourt, Willy, 2012. "Can Top-Down and Bottom-Up be Reconciled? Electoral Competition and Service Delivery in Malaysia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(11), pages 2329-2341.
- World Bank, 2011. "Azerbaijan - Building Assets and Promoting Self Reliance : The Livelihoods of Internally Displaced Persons," World Bank Other Operational Studies 2794, The World Bank.
- McCourt, Willy, 2013. "Models of public service reform : a problem-solving approach," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6428, The World Bank.
- Swamy, Vighneswara & B.K, Tulasimala, 2011. "Financial Intermediaries and Economic Development – A Study of Transaction Costs of Borrowing for the Poor," MPRA Paper 47516, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Birungi, Patrick & Hassan, Rashid M., 2010. "Poverty, property rights and land management in Uganda," African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, African Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 4(1), March.
- Acar, Sevil & Dogruel, Fatma, 2012. "Sources of inequality in selected MENA countries," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 276-285.
- Wodon, Quentin, 2013. "Faith-inspired, Private Secular, and Public Schools in sub-Saharan Africa: Market Share, Reach to the Poor, Cost, and Satisfaction," MPRA Paper 45363, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John H. Bishop, 2002. "What is the appropriate role for student achievement standards?," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Jun, pages 249-289.
- Gifford, Blair & Kestler, Andrew & Anand, Sharmila, 2010. "Building local legitimacy into corporate social responsibility: Gold mining firms in developing nations," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 304-311, July.
- World Bank, 2007. "The Enabling Environment for Social Accountability in Mongolia," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7752, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2004. "Brazil : Equitable, Competitive, Sustainable--Contributions for Debate," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15051.
- Gounder, Rukmani & Xing, Zhongwei, 2012. "Impact of education and health on poverty reduction: Monetary and non-monetary evidence from Fiji," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 787-794.
- Yamin, Mo & Sinkovics, Rudolf R., 2009. "Infrastructure or foreign direct investment?: An examination of the implications of MNE strategy for economic development," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 144-157, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.