Licensing Occupations: Ensuring Quality or Restricting Competition?
AbstractKleiner evaluates the effects of occupational licensing on the cost and quality of services provided.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research in its series Books from Upjohn Press with number lo and published in 2006.
ISBN: cloth 9780880992855 paper 9780880992848
Note: PDF is the book's first chapter.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 300 S. Westnedge Ave. Kalamazoo, MI 49007 USA
Web page: http://www.upjohn.org
More information through EDIRC
licensing; occupational licensing; labor markets; unions; guilds;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D45 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Rationing; Licensing
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Elisabetta Lazzaro & Nathalie Moureau, 2013. "Auctioneers vs. commissaires-priseurs: The carnival mirror of profession regulation in the international art market," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 10(2), pages 159-176, August.
- Pagliero, Mario, 2013.
"The impact of potential labor supply on licensing exam difficulty,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 141-152.
- Mario Pagliero, 2007. "The Impact of Potential Labor Supply on Licensing Exam Difficulty," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 53, Collegio Carlo Alberto, revised 2013.
- Marc T. Law & Mindy S. Marks, 2013. "From Certification To Licensure: Evidence From Registered And Practical Nurses In The United States, 1950-1970," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 10(2), pages 177-198, August.
- Mary Gugerty, 2009. "Signaling virtue: voluntary accountability programs among nonprofit organizations," Policy Sciences, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 243-273, August.
- Silvester Van Koten & Andreas Ortmann, 2013. "Self-regulating organizations under the shadow of governmental oversight: An experimental investigation," Discussion Papers 2013-13, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Pagliero, Mario, 2011. "What is the objective of professional licensing? Evidence from the US market for lawyers," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 473-483, July.
- David H. Autor, 2008.
"The Economics of Labor Market Intermediation: An Analytic Framework,"
NBER Working Papers
14348, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Autor, David, 2008. "The Economics of Labor Market Intermediation: An Analytic Framework," IZA Discussion Papers 3705, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Terance J. Rephann & Tanya Wanchek, 2012. "Filling the Gaps: Dentist Disparities along the Rural Urban Continuum," Working Papers 2012-02, Center for Economic and Policy Studies.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Stenkula, Mikael, 2009. "Entrepreneurship and Public Policy," Working Paper Series 804, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- David H. Autor, 2009. "Introduction to "Studies of Labor Market Intermediation"," NBER Chapters, in: Studies of Labor Market Intermediation, pages 1-23 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward Timmons & Robert Thornton, 2008. "The Effects of Licensing on the Wages of Radiologic Technologists," Journal of Labor Research, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 333-346, December.
- Tanya Wanchek & Terance J. Rephann & William Shobe, 2011. "Oral Health and the Dental Care Workforce in Southwest Virginia," Reports 2011-03, Center for Economic and Policy Studies.
- Daniel B. Klein & Benjamin Powell & Evgeny S. Vorotnikov, 2012. "Was Occupational Licensing Good for Minorities? A Critique of Marc Law and Mindy Marks," Econ Journal Watch, Econ Journal Watch, vol. 9(3), pages 210-233, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.