The Firm, the Market, and the Law
AbstractFew other economists have been read and cited as often as R.H. Coase has been, even though, as he admits, "most economists have a different way of looking at economic problems and do not share my conception of the nature of our subject." Coase's particular interest has been that part of economic theory that deals with firms, industries, and markets—what is known as price theory or microeconomics. He has always urged his fellow economists to examine the foundations on which their theory exists, and this volume collects some of his classic articles probing those very foundations. "The Nature of the Firm" (1937) introduced the then-revolutionary concept of transaction costs into economic theory. "The Problem of Social Cost" (1960) further developed this concept, emphasizing the effect of the law on the working of the economic system. The remaining papers and new introductory essay clarify and extend Coarse's arguments and address his critics. "These essays bear rereading. Coase's careful attention to actual institutions not only offers deep insight into economics but also provides the best argument for Coase's methodological position. The clarity of the exposition and the elegance of the style also make them a pleasure to read and a model worthy of emulation."—Lewis A. Kornhauser, Journal of Economic Literature Ronald H. Coase was awarded the Nobel Prize in Economic Science in 1991.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by University of Chicago Press in its series University of Chicago Press Economics Books with number 9780226111018 and published in 1990.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://press.uchicago.edu
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Reuben Soto, Sergio, 2012.
"Fundamentos hipotéticos para proyectos de investigación sobre la crisis económica contemporánea
[Hypothetical foundations for research projects on the contemporary economic crisis]," MPRA Paper 39591, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anthony U. EGBU & Edith C. Pat-MBANO & Kalu A. OBIALO, 2012. "Public Goods Provision: Informal Response To Government Failure In The Cities Of Nigeria," Theoretical and Empirical Researches in Urban Management, Research Centre in Public Administration and Public Services, Bucharest, Romania, vol. 7(2), pages 67-78, May.
- Tereza Šímová & Josef Šíma, 2012. "In Search Of Empirical Content – The Austrian Way To Go Beyond Pure Theory," Romanian Economic Business Review, Romanian-American University, vol. 7(1), pages 50-59, March.
- Vitols, Sigurt, 1995. "Corporate governance versus economic governance: banks and industrial restructuring in the US and Germany," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Economic Change and Employment FS I 95-310, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Sergio, Reuben, 2012.
"Fundamentos hipotéticos para investigar la crisis económica contemporánea
[Hypothetical foundations to investigate the contemporary economic crisis]," MPRA Paper 43067, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 14 Nov 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Books Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.