Industrial Organization: Theory and Applications
AbstractThis upper-level undergraduate text provides an introduction to industrial organization theory along with applications and nontechnical analyses of the legal system and antitrust laws. Using the modern approach but without emphasizing the mathematical generality inherent in many of the arguments, it bridges the gap between existing nontheoretical texts written for undergraduates and highly technical texts written for graduate students. The book can also be used in masters' programs, and advanced graduate students will find it a convenient guide to modern industrial organization. The treatment is rigorous and comprehensive. A wide range of models of all widely used market structures, strategic marketing devices, compatibility and standards, advertising, R&D, as well as more traditional topics are considered in versions much simplified from the originals but that retain the basic intuition. Shy first defines the issues that industrial organization addresses and then develops the tools needed to attack the basic questions. He begins with perfect competition and then considers imperfectly competitive market structures including a wide variety of monopolies, and all forms of quantity and price competitions. The last chapter provides a helpful feature for students by showing how various theories may be related to particular industries but not to others.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The MIT Press in its series MIT Press Books with number 0262691795 and published in 1996.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu
industrial organization theory; market structure; legal system; antitrust laws;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L00 - Industrial Organization - - General - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Juan Pablo Herrera Saavedra & Dennis Sánchez Navarro, 2014. "Análisis de efectos explotativos de integraciones empresariales a partir del modelo de Cournot: el caso de mercados con bienes homogéneos," ESTUDIOS ECONÃMICOS SIC 010906, SUPERINTENDENCIA DE INDUSTRIA Y COMERCIO.
- Juan Pablo Herrera Saavedra, 2013.
"Elasticidad precio de la demanda y su relevancia en materia de bienestar en un mercado monopolista,"
ESTUDIOS ECONÃMICOS SIC
010747, SUPERINTENDENCIA DE INDUSTRIA Y COMERCIO.
- Herrera Saavedra, Juan Pablo, 2013.
"Elasticidad precio de la demanda y su relevancia en materia de bienestar en un mercado monopolista
[Price elasticity of demand and its relevance in terms of welfare in a monopolistic market]," MPRA Paper 46699, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Herrera Saavedra, Juan Pablo, 2013. "Elasticidad precio de la demanda y su relevancia en materia de bienestar en un mercado monopolista
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J Peter, 2004.
"Symmetrical Research Joint Ventures: Cooperative Substitutes and Complements,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4497, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Leahy, Dermot & Neary, J. Peter, 2005. "Symmetric research joint ventures: Cooperative substitutes and complements," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(5-6), pages 381-397, June.
- Dermot Leahy & J Peter Neary, 2004. "Symmetric Research Joint Ventures - Cooperative Substitutes and Complements," Working Papers 200417, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Herrera Saavedra, Juan Pablo & Sánchez Navarro, Dennis, 2013.
"Análisis de los efectos explotativos en integraciones empresariales a partir del modelo de Cournot: el caso de mercados con bienes homogéneos
[Analysis of the exploitative effects of a merger bas," MPRA Paper 52688, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bataille, Marc & Steinmetz, Alexander, 2013. "Intermodal competition on some routes in transportation networks: The case of inter urban buses and railways," DICE Discussion Papers 84, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Fujiwara, Kenji, 2009. "Trade liberalization in a differentiated duopoly reconsidered," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 165-171, September.
- Jun, Byoung Heon & Park, In-Uck, 2010.
Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics,
Hitotsubashi University, vol. 51(2), pages 1-22, December.
- Lee, In Hyeock & Rugman, Alan M., 2012. "Firm-specific advantages, inward FDI origins, and performance of multinational enterprises," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 132-146.
- Nagurney, Anna & Yu, Min, 2012. "Sustainable fashion supply chain management under oligopolistic competition and brand differentiation," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(2), pages 532-540.
- Joshua Sherman & Avi Weiss, 2012. "Price Response, Asymmetric Information, and Competition," Working Papers 2012-13, Department of Economics, Bar-Ilan University.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Kosma, Theodora S., 2007. "Market power and exchange rate pass-through," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 202-222.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jake Furbush).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.