The Age of Diminished Expectations, 3rd Edition: U.S. Economic Policy in the 1990s
AbstractPaul Krugman's popular guide to the economic landscape of the 1990s has been revised and updated to take into account economic developments of the years from 1994 - 1997. New material in the third edition includes: A new chapter—complete with colorful examples from Llyod's of London and Sumitomo Metals—on how risky behavior can lead to disaster in private markets. An evaluation of the Federal Reserve's role in reining in economic growth to prevent inflation, and the debate over whether its targets are too low. A look at the collapse of the Mexican peso and the burst of Japan's "bubble" economy. A revised discussion of the federal budget deficit, including the growth concern that Social Security and Medicare payments to retiring baby boomers will threaten the solvency of the government. Finally, in the updated concluding section, the author provides three possible scenarios for the American economy over the next decade. He warns us that we live in age of diminished expectations, in which the voting public is willing to settle for policy drift—but with the first baby boomers turning 65 in 2011, the economy will not be able to drift indefinitely.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The MIT Press in its series MIT Press Books with number 0262611341 and published in 1997.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu
U.S. economic policy; diminished expectations; policy drift;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E65 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Studies of Particular Policy Episodes
- E66 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - General Outlook and Conditions
- N12 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - U.S.; Canada: 1913-
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lindič, Jaka & Bavdaž, Mojca & Kovačič, Helena, 2012. "Higher growth through the Blue Ocean Strategy: Implications for economic policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 928-938.
- Richard Harris & John Moffat, 2012. "Total Factor Productivity Growth in Local Economic Partnership Regions in Britain, 1997-2008," SERC Discussion Papers 0112, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Uhlig, H.F.H.V.S., 1997. "Capital Income Taxation and the Sustainability of Permanent Primary Deficits," Discussion Paper 1997-11, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jake Furbush).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.