Exchange Rate Regimes in the Modern Era
AbstractThe exchange rate is sometimes called the most important price in a highly globalized world. A country's choice of its exchange rate regime, between government-managed fixed rates and market-determined floating rates has significant implications for monetary policy, trade, and macroeconomic outcomes, and is the subject of both academic and policy debate. In this book, two leading economists examine the operation and consequences of exchange rate regimes in an era of increasing international interdependence. Michael Klein and Jay Shambaugh focus on the evolution of exchange rate regimes in the modern era, the period since 1973, which followed the Bretton Woods era of 1945-72 and the pre-World War I gold standard era. The modern era is marked by a wide variety of experiences with exchange rate regimes, both across countries and, for many countries, across time. This provides a rich body of data for studying the economic effects of these exchange rate regimes. Klein and Shambaugh offer a comprehensive, integrated treatment of the characteristics of exchange rate regimes and their effects. The book draws on and synthesizes data from the recent wave of empirical research on this topic, and includes new findings that challenge preconceived notions.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The MIT Press in its series MIT Press Books with number 026251799x and published in 2012.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu
econometrics; money; monetary policy; international economics;
Other versions of this item:
- F49 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Other
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dumitriu, Ramona & Stefanescu, Razvan, 2013.
"Utilizarea cursurilor valutare drept ancore nominale antiinflaţioniste
[The use of exchange rates as nominal anchors]," MPRA Paper 52415, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fischer, Christoph, 2012.
"Currency blocs in the 21st century,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
24/2012, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Fischer, Christoph, 2011. "Currency blocs in the 21st century," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2011,12, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Christoph Fischer, 2011. "Currency blocs in the 21st century," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 87, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Dagfinn Rime & Hans Jørgen Tranvåg, 2012.
"The Flows of the Pacific: Asian foreign exchange markets through tranquility and turbulence,"
2012/01, Norges Bank.
- Hans Jørgen Tranvåg & Dagfinn Rime, 2012. "The Flows of the Pacific: Asian foreign exchange markets through tranquility and turbulence," Working Paper Series 12412, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Erick Lahura & Marco Vega, 2013. "Regímenes cambiarios y desempeño macroeconómico: una evaluación de la literatura," Documentos de Trabajo 2013-361, Departamento de Economía - Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú.
- Joseph E. Gagnon, 2013. "Stabilizing Properties of Flexible Exchange Rates: Evidence from the Global Financial Crisis," Policy Briefs PB13-28, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Bogdan Căpraru & Iulian Ihnatov, 2011. "The Effect Of Exchange Rate Arrangements On Transmission Of Interest Rates And Monetary Policy Independence: Evidence From A Group Of New Eu Member Countries "," Analele Stiintifice ale Universitatii "Alexandru Ioan Cuza" din Iasi - Stiinte Economice, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 58, pages 71-81, november.
- Manuk Ghazanchyan & Janet Gale Stotsky, 2013. "Drivers of Growth: Evidence from Sub-Saharan African Countries," IMF Working Papers 13/236, International Monetary Fund.
- Berdiev, Aziz N. & Kim, Yoonbai & Chang, Chun Ping, 2012. "The political economy of exchange rate regimes in developed and developing countries," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 38-53.
- James Feyrer & Jay Shambaugh, 2012.
"Global Savings and Global Investment: The Transmission of Identified Fiscal Shocks,"
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy,
American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 95-114, May.
- James Feyrer & Jay C. Shambaugh, 2009. "Global Savings and Global Investment: The Transmission of Identified Fiscal Shocks," NBER Working Papers 15113, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Graham Bird & Alex Mandilaras & Helen Popper, 2012. "Explaining Shifts in Exchange Rate Regimes," School of Economics Discussion Papers 1312, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- International Monetary Fund, 2012. "The Relationship between the Foreign Exchange Regime and Macroeconomic Performance in Eastern Africa," IMF Working Papers 12/148, International Monetary Fund.
- Thomas Willett & Eric M.P. Chiu & Sirathorn (B.J.) Dechsakulthorn & Ramya Ghosh & Bernard Kibesse & Kenneth Kim & Jeff (Yongbok) Kim & Alice Ouyang, 2011. "Classifying international aspects of currency regimes," Journal of Financial Economic Policy, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(4), pages 288-303, November.
- Menkhoff, Lukas, 2012.
"Foreign Exchange Intervention in Emerging Markets: A Survey of Empirical Studies,"
Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover
dp-498, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Lukas Menkhoff, 2013. "Foreign Exchange Intervention in Emerging Markets: A Survey of Empirical Studies," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(9), pages 1187-1208, 09.
- Issiaka Coulibaly & Blaise Gnimassoun, 2013. "Current account sustainability in Sub-Saharan Africa: Does the exchange rate regime matter?," EconomiX Working Papers 2013-42, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Lahura, Erick & Vega, Marco, 2013.
"Regímenes Cambiarios y Desempeño Macroeconómico: Una Evaluación de la Literatura,"
2013-006, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Lahura, Erick & Vega, Marco, 2013. "Regímenes cambiarios y desempeño macroeconómico: Una evaluación de la literatura," Revista Estudios Económicos, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, issue 26, pages 101-119.
- Frank Bohn, 2013. "The Politics of Surprise Devaluations: Modelling Motives for Giving Up a Peg," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 233(5-6), pages 562-574, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jake Furbush).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.