Managed Floating Plus
AbstractIn this analysis Morris Goldstein examines currency regime choices for emerging economies that are heavily involved with private capital markets. The author argues that the best regime choice for such economies would be managed floating plus, where "plus" is shorthand for a framework that includes inflation targeting and aggressive measures to discourage currency mismatching. Goldstein argues that if managed floating were enhanced in this way, it would retain the desirable features of a flexible rate regime while addressing the nominal anchor and balance-sheet problems that have historically underpinned a "fear of floating" and handicapped the performance of managed floating in emerging economies. The author also shows why managed floating plus is superior to four alternative currency-regime options--an adjustable peg system, a "BBC (basket, band, crawl) regime," a currency board, and dollarization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Peterson Institute for International Economics in its series Peterson Institute Press: All Books with number pa66 and published in 2002.
Note: Policy Analyses in International Economics 66
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1750 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, DC
Web page: http://bookstore.piie.com/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Morris Goldstein, 2002. "Managed Floating Plus," Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa66, November.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- John D. Burger & Francis E. Warnock, 2004.
"Foreign participation in local-currency bond markets,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
794, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Burger, John D. & Warnock, Francis E., 2007. "Foreign participation in local currency bond markets," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 291-304.
- John D. Burger & Francis E. Warnock, 2006. "Foreign Participation in Local Currency Bond Markets," NBER Working Papers 12548, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John D. Burger & Francis E. Warnock, 2003. "Diversification, original sin, and international bond portfolios," International Finance Discussion Papers 755, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peterson Institute webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.