Le Trueque argentin au prisme de la dette : une socioéconomie des pratiques monétaires et financières
AbstractThis work questions the nature of money through the analysis of a complex set of local monetary systems located in Argentina (trueque). It is based on both the reconstitution of the history of the main national trueque networks (meso-level) and the observation of the monetary and financial practices of their participants, carried out through an ethnographic fieldwork (micro-level). These data suggest that money must be understood as a system of evaluation and settlement of debts. Such approach allows first to distinguish financial from monetary practices and to clarify their interdependences. Second, it puts the emphasis on the wide diversity of monetary practices (i.e. the material media of the means of settlement and evaluation of debts) and modalities of issuing the means of settlement. Therefore, money can participate to the reproduction of special organizations more or less centralized and to widely contrasted social relations (either violent or emancipating). Finally, to conceive money from debt begs the question of the access to the means of settlement of those who have been excluded from the fordist wage-labor nexus through the expansion of the so-called “informal economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Paris Dauphine University in its series Economics Thesis from University Paris Dauphine with number 123456789/8199 and published in 2011.
Argentina; debt; federalism; informal economy; money trueque; Argentine; dette; économie informelle; fédéralisme; finance; monnaie; trueque;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A14 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Sociology of Economics
- H11 - Public Economics - - Structure and Scope of Government - - - Structure and Scope of Government
- H63 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Debt; Debt Management; Sovereign Debt
- E26 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Informal Economy; Underground Economy
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.