Violence and Social Orders
AbstractAll societies must deal with the possibility of violence, and they do so in different ways. This book integrates the problem of violence into a larger social science and historical framework, showing how economic and political behavior are closely linked. Most societies, which we call natural states, limit violence by political manipulation of the economy to create privileged interests. These privileges limit the use of violence by powerful individuals, but doing so hinders both economic and political development. In contrast, modern societies create open access to economic and political organizations, fostering political and economic competition. The book provides a framework for understanding the two types of social orders, why open access societies are both politically and economically more developed, and how some 25 countries have made the transition between the two types.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Cambridge University Press in its series Cambridge Books with number 9781107646995 and published in 2013.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cambridge.org
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hallward-Driemeier, Mary & Khun-Jush, Gita & Pritchett, Lant, 2010.
"Deals versus rules : policy implementation uncertainty and why firms hate it,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5321, The World Bank.
- Mary Hallward-Driemeier & Gita Khun-Jush & Lant Pritchett, 2014. "Deals versus Rules: Policy Implementation Uncertainty and Why Firms Hate It," NBER Chapters, in: African Successes: Government and Institutions National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mary Hallward-Driemeier & Gita Khun-Jush & Lant Pritchett, 2010. "Deals versus Rules: Policy Implementation Uncertainty and Why Firms Hate It," NBER Working Papers 16001, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hallward-Driemeier, Mary & Khun-Jush, Gita & Pritchett, Lant, 2010. "Deals Versus Rules: Policy Implementation Uncertainty and Why Firms Hate It," Scholarly Articles 4448884, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Hallward-Driemeier, Mary & Khun-Jush, Gita & Pritchett, Lant, 2010. "Deals versus Rules: Policy Implementation Uncertainty and Why Firms Hate It," Working Paper Series rwp10-027, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Brie, Mircea & Polgar, Istvan & Chirodea, Florentina, 2012. "European union. identity, diversity and integration," MPRA Paper 44099, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2012.
- Cervellati, Matteo & Fortunato, Piergiuseppe & Sunde, Uwe, 2011.
"Democratization and Civil Liberties: The Role of Violence During the Transition,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5555, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cervellati, Matteo & Fortunato, Piergiuseppe & Sunde, Uwe, 2011. "Democratization and Civil Liberties: The Role of Violence During the Transition," Economics Working Paper Series 1108, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- Cervellati, Matteo & Fortunato, Piergiuseppe & Sunde, Uwe, 2011. "Democratization and Civil Liberties: The Role of Violence During the Transition," CEPR Discussion Papers 8315, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ashby, Nathan J. & Ramos, Miguel A., 2013. "Foreign direct investment and industry response to organized crime: The Mexican case," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 80-91.
- Matteo Aria & Nicolò Bellanca, 2012. "The Polytheistic Condition: Incomparable Assets and Special Currency," Working Papers - Economics wp2012_20.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Sen, Kunal, 2013. "The Political Dynamics of Economic Growth," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 71-86.
- Carl Weizsäcker, 2013. "Der Vorsorge-Albtraum," Wirtschaftsdienst, Springer, vol. 93(1), pages 7-15, January.
- Ogilvie, Sheilagh & Carus, A.W., 2014. "Institutions and Economic Growth in Historical Perspective," Handbook of Economic Growth, in: Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 8, pages 403-513 Elsevier.
- Favareto, A. & Abramovay, R. & Do Carmo D´Oliveira, M. & Fábio Diniz, J. & Saes, B., 2011. "Desenvolvimento territorial em uma região do Semi-árido do Nordeste brasileiro – para além das transferências de renda," Working papers 083, Rimisp Latin American Center for Rural Development.
- Ramos, Miguel A. & Ashby, Nathan J., 2013. "Heterogeneous firm response to organized crime: Evidence from FDI in Mexico," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 176-194.
- Álvaro Aguirre, 2011. "Contracting Institutions and Economic Growth," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 643, Central Bank of Chile.
- Cervellati, Matteo & Fortunato, Piergiuseppe & Sunde, Uwe, 2014. "Violence during democratization and the quality of democratic institutions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 66(C), pages 226-247.
- Razafindrakoto, Mireille & Roubaud, François & Wachsberger, Jean-Michel, 2013. "Institutions, gouvernance et croissance de long terme à Madagascar : l'énigme et le paradoxe," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/12014, Paris Dauphine University.
- Álvaro Aguirre, 2013. "Rebellions, Technical Change, and the Early Development of Political Institutions in Latin America," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 688, Central Bank of Chile.
- Mireille Razafindrakoto & François Roubaud & Jean-Michel Wachsberger, 2013. "Institutions, gouvernance et croissance de long terme à Madagascar : l'enigme et le paradoxe," Working Papers DT/2013/13, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Caruso Raul, 2011. "On the Nature of Peace Economics," Peace Economics, Peace Science, and Public Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 16(2), pages 1-13, January.
- Jürgen Matthes & Bodo Herzog & Holger Schmieding & Erlei. Mathias, 2012. "Staatsbankrotte, Umschuldungen oder fortgesetzte Hilfen: Wie hoch sind die Kosten dieser Alternativen, und was können sie bewirken?," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 65(07), pages 03-20, 04.
- Jan Luiten van Zanden, 2011. "In Good Company: About Agency and Economic Development in Global Perspective," Working Papers 23/2011, Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
- Álvaro Aguirre, 2011. "The Risk of Civil Conflicts as a Determinant of Political Institutions," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 649, Central Bank of Chile.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ruth Austin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.