Central Bank Cooperation at the Bank for International Settlements, 1930–1973
AbstractThis book covers the history of the Bank for International Settlements (BIS), the first-born among the international economic institutions, from its founding in Basel in 1930 to the end of the Bretton Woods system in 1973. The first chapters explore the foundation of the BIS, its role in the financial crisis of 1931, the London economic conference of 1933, and in following years when central bank cooperation was mostly reduced to technical matters. Considerable attention is devoted to the much criticized activity of the BIS during World War II. The book then deals with the intensive central bank cooperation from the recreation of Europe's multilateral payments in the 1950s and for the support of the Bretton Woods system in the 1960s. The last chapter is devoted to the involvement of central banks in the first timid steps towards European monetary unification and to the eurodollar market.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Cambridge University Press in its series Cambridge Books with number 9780521845519 and published in 2005.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cambridge.org
Other versions of this item:
- Toniolo,Gianni Assisted by-Name:Clement,Piet, 2007. "Central Bank Cooperation at the Bank for International Settlements, 1930–1973," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521043700, December.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Khan, Haider, 2013. "Deep Financial Crises, Reforming the IMF and Building Regional Autonomy:Towards a New Hybrid Global Financial Architecture," MPRA Paper 49514, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Claudio E. V. Borio & Gianni Toniolo, 2006. "One hundred and thirty years of central bank cooperation: a BIS perspective," BIS Working Papers 197, Bank for International Settlements.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2013.
"International Policy Coordination: The Long View,"
in: Globalization in an Age of Crisis: Multilateral Economic Cooperation in the Twenty-First Century, pages 43-82
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2012.
"Regional Financial Arrangements and the International Monetary Fund,"
Macroeconomics Working Papers
23354, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 2012. "Regional Financial Arrangements and the International Monetary Fund," ADBI Working Papers 394, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2012. "Regional Financial Arrangements and the International Monetary Fund," Governance Working Papers 23354, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2012. "Regional Financial Arrangements and the International Monetary Fund," Finance Working Papers 23354, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Albrecht Ritschl, 2012. "Reparations, Deficits, and Debt Default: the Great Depression in Germany," CEP Discussion Papers dp1149, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Khan, Haider, 2013. "Basel III, BIS and Global Financial Governance," MPRA Paper 49513, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- de la Escosura, Leandro Prados & Rosés, Joan R. & Villarroya, Isabel Sanz, 2010.
"Stabilization and Growth under Dictatorship: The Experience of Franco's Spain,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7731, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura & Joan R. Rosés & Isabel Sanz Villarroya, 2010. "Stabilization and growth under dictatorship: the experience of Franco's Spain," Working Papers in Economic History wp10-02, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Historia Económica e Instituciones.
- Khan, Haider, 2013. "Global Financial Governance: Towards a New Global Financial Architecture for Averting Deep Financial Crises," MPRA Paper 49275, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Heinrich, Gregor, 2007. "Central banking in a regional economic setting: Possible contributions to integration," MPRA Paper 47416, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- William A. Allen & Richhild Moessner, 2010. "Central Bank co-operation and International liquidity in the financial crisis of 2008-09," FMG Special Papers sp187, Financial Markets Group.
- Dong He & Robert McCauley, 2010.
"Offshore markets for the domestic currency: monetary and financial stability issues,"
BIS Working Papers
320, Bank for International Settlements.
- Dong He & Robert N. McCauley, 2010. "Offshore Markets for the Domestic Currency: Monetary and Financial Stability Issues," Working Papers 1002, Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Umayya S. Toukan, 2010. "The international monetary system: too big to fail," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 479-488.
- Paul Hallwood & Ronald MacDonald & Ian Marsh, 2011. "Remilitarization and the End of the Gold Bloc in 1936," De Economist, Springer, vol. 159(3), pages 305-321, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ruth Austin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.