Stochastic Optimization in Continuous Time
AbstractFirst published in 2004, this is a rigorous but user-friendly book on the application of stochastic control theory to economics. A distinctive feature of the book is that mathematical concepts are introduced in a language and terminology familiar to graduate students of economics. The standard topics of many mathematics, economics and finance books are illustrated with real examples documented in the economic literature. Moreover, the book emphasises the dos and don'ts of stochastic calculus, cautioning the reader that certain results and intuitions cherished by many economists do not extend to stochastic models. A special chapter (Chapter 5) is devoted to exploring various methods of finding a closed-form representation of the value function of a stochastic control problem, which is essential for ascertaining the optimal policy functions. The book also includes many practice exercises for the reader. Notes and suggested readings are provided at the end of each chapter for more references and possible extensions.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Cambridge University Press in its series Cambridge Books with number 9780521834063 and published in 2004.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cambridge.org
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fwu-Ranq Chang, 2009.
"Optimal growth and impatience: A phase diagram analysis,"
International Journal of Economic Theory,
The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 5(2), pages 245-255.
- Fwu-Ranq Chang, 2004. "Optimal Growth and Impatience: A Phase Diagram Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 1359, CESifo Group Munich.
- Müller-Plantenberg, Nikolas, 2012. "Boom-and-bust cycles marked by capital inflows, current account deterioration and a rise and fall of the real exchange rate," Working Papers in Economic Theory 2012/10, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- Juan Carlos Parra-Alvarez, 2013. "A comparison of numerical methods for the solution of continuous-time DSGE models," CREATES Research Papers 2013-39, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Lu, Liang & Elbakidze, Levan, 2012. "Application of Comparative Dynamics in Stochastic Invasive Species Management in Agricultural Production," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124971, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Ewald, Christian-Oliver & Wang, Wen-Kai, 2011. "Analytic solutions for infinite horizon stochastic optimal control problems via finite horizon approximation: A practical guide," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 146-151, May.
- Luis H. R. Alvarez & Erkki Koskela, 2004.
"Taxation and Rotation Age under Stochastic Forest Stand Value,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1211, CESifo Group Munich.
- Alvarez, Luis H.R. & Koskela, Erkki, 2007. "Taxation and rotation age under stochastic forest stand value," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 113-127, July.
- Ratbek Dzhumashev, 2007. "Corruption, Uncertainty And Growth," Monash Economics Working Papers 15-07, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Chang, Fwu-Ranq, 2005.
"A theory of health investment under competing mortality risks,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 449-463, May.
- Fwu-Ranq Chang, 2002. "A Theory of Health Investment under Competing Mortality Risks," CESifo Working Paper Series 669, CESifo Group Munich.
- Leon-Santana, Miguel & Hernandez, Juan M., 2008. "Optimum management and environmental protection in the aquaculture industry," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(4), pages 849-857, February.
- Ratbek Dzhumashev & Emin Gahramanov, 2010. "A Growth Model with Income Tax Evasion: Some Implications for Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 86(275), pages 620-636, December.
- Wälde, Klaus, 2011.
"Production technologies in stochastic continuous time models,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 616-622, April.
- Klaus Wälde, 2009. "Production Technologies in Stochastic Continuous Time Models," CESifo Working Paper Series 2831, CESifo Group Munich.
- Robert Feicht & Wolfgang Stummer, 2010. "Complete Closed-form Solution to a Stochastic Growth Model and Corresponding Speed of Economic Recovery preliminary," DEGIT Conference Papers c015_041, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Marutani, Teruhiko, 2010. "The effect of site quality on economically optimal stand management," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 35-46, January.
- Kogan, Konstantin, 2012. "Ship-to-order supplies: Contract breachability and the impact of a manufacturer-owned direct channel," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 218(1), pages 113-123.
- Monica Keneley, 2004. "In the Service of the Society: Labour Management Practices in the Australian Life Insurance Industry to 1940," Economics Series 2004_19, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Fwu-Ranq Chang, 2008. "Property Insurance, Portfolio Selection and their Interdependence," CESifo Working Paper Series 2260, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ratbek Dzhumashev & Emin Gahramanov, 2008. "Can We Tax the Desire for Tax Evasion?," Economics Series 2008_19, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Ratbek Dzhumashev & Vinod Mishra & Russell Smyth, 2011. "Exporting, R&D Investment and Firm Survival," Monash Economics Working Papers 39-11, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Leong, Chee Kian & Huang, Weihong, 2010. "A stochastic differential game of capitalism," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 552-561, July.
- Lu, Liang & Elbakidze, Levan, 2012. "Application of Comparative Dynamics in Stochastic Invasive Species Management in Agricultural Production," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 125226, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ruth Austin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.