Zero-coupon yield curves: technical documentation
AbstractFollowing a meeting on the estimation of zero-coupon yield curves held at the BIS in June 1996, participating central banks have since been reporting their estimates to the Bank for International Settlements. The BIS Data Bank Services provide access to these data, which consist of either spot rates for selected terms to maturity or represent estimated parameters from which spot and forward rates can be derived. In the case estimated parameters are reported, the Data Bank Services provides, in addition to the parameters also the generated spot rates. The purpose of this document is to facilitate the use of these data. It provides information on the reporting central banks' approaches to the estimation of the zero-coupon yield curves and the data transmitted to the BIS Data Bank. In most cases, the contributing central banks adopted the so-called Nelson and Siegel approach or the Svensson extension thereof. A brief overview of the relevant estimation techniques and the associated mathematics is provided below. General issues concerning the estimation of yield curves are discussed in Section 1. Sections 2 and 3 document the term structure of interest rate data available from the BIS. The final section provides examples of estimated parameter and selected spot and forward rates derived thereof. A list of contacts at central banks can be found after the references. The remainder of this document consists of brief notes provided by the reporting central banks on approaches they have taken to estimate the yield curves. Since the last release of this manual in March 1999 there have been four major changes: Switzerland started to report their estimates of the yield curve to the BIS in August 2002. Furthermore, Sweden began to use a new estimation method in 2001, the United Kingdom since September 2002 and Canada since January 2005. These changes are included in Tables 1 and 2.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Bank for International Settlements in its series BIS Papers with number 25 and published in 2005.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jens H. E. Christensen & Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 2007.
"The Affine Arbitrage-Free Class of Nelson-Siegel Term Structure Models,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
07-029, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Christensen, Jens H.E. & Diebold, Francis X. & Rudebusch, Glenn D., 2011. "The affine arbitrage-free class of Nelson-Siegel term structure models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 164(1), pages 4-20, September.
- Jens H. E. Christensen & Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 2007. "The Affine Arbitrage-Free Class of: Nelson-Siegel Term Structure Models," NBER Working Papers 13611, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jens H.E. Christensen & Francis X. Diebold & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 2007. "The affine arbitrage-free class of Nelson-Siegel term structure models," Working Paper Series 2007-20, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Gauthier, Geneviève & Simonato, Jean-Guy, 2012. "Linearized Nelson–Siegel and Svensson models for the estimation of spot interest rates," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 219(2), pages 442-451.
- Landon, Stuart, 2009.
"The capitalization of taxes in bond prices: Evidence from the market for Government of Canada bonds,"
15467, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Landon, Stuart, 2009. "The capitalization of taxes in bond prices: Evidence from the market for Government of Canada bonds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2175-2184, December.
- Stuart Landon, 2009. "The capitalization of taxes in bond prices: Evidence from the market for Government of Canada bonds," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2009_20, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Gann, Philipp & Laut, Amelie, 2008. "Einflussfaktoren auf den Credit Spread von Unternehmensanleihen," Discussion Papers in Business Administration 4231, University of Munich, Munich School of Management.
- Landon, Stuart & Smith, Constance, 2008. "Taxation and bond market investment strategies: Evidence from the market for Government of Canada bonds," MPRA Paper 9959, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yallup, Peter J., 2012. "Models of the yield curve and the curvature of the implied forward rate function," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 121-135.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.