Capacity Constraints and Investment Decisions under Cournot Competition
AbstractThis paper analyses how the equilibrium is affected when adding investment decisions and capacity constraints to the traditional Cournot duopoly model. Authors investigate a multiperiod setting with two firms taking investment decisions in every period. We prove that under these circumstances the Cournot equilibrium is unstable and the tendency is to a cartel structure in the industry. However, this behavior is not necessarily cooperative or subject to a tacit agreement. It is optimising for the duopolists to cut down the amount produced in spite of the behavior of the other firm until they reach the monopoly equilibrium.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Zagreb in its journal Zagreb International Review of Economics and Business.
Volume (Year): 9 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
Postal: Zagreb International Review of Economics and Business, Faculty of Economics and Business, Trg J. F. Kennedy 6, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia.
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L12 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Monopoly; Monopolization Strategies
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L19 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Other
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jurica Šimurina).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.