Estimating the Demand for Air Quality in Four U.S. Cities
AbstractAn analysis of the demand for air quality in four MSAs in the United States is presented using the American Housing Survey data from 1974-1991, the Decennial U.S. Censuses, and the EPA Aerometric Information Retrieval System. The marginal prices of air quality are obtained from parameter estimates for the pollution variables in a hedonic house price model, and the marginal willingness to pay (inverse demand) equations for air quality are estimated using these prices. In two of the four (inverse) demand for air quality equations, the own-good coefficient is negative and significant, while the income coefficient is positive and significant.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 76 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q25 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Water
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Welsch, Heinz, 2006. "Environment and happiness: Valuation of air pollution using life satisfaction data," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 801-813, July.
- Silvia Banfi & Massimo Filippini & Andrea Horehájová, 2008. "Valuation of Environmental Goods in Profit and Non-Profit Housing Sectors: Evidence from the Rental Market in the City of Zurich," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 144(IV), pages 631-654, December.
- Day, BH, 2005. "Hedonic analysis of property markets: theory and applications to UK cities ," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Luca Stanca, 2008. "Le determinanti dei prezzi delle abitazioni: aspetti microeconomici," Working Papers 143, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2008.
- Brasington, David M. & Hite, Diane, 2005.
"Demand for environmental quality: a spatial hedonic analysis,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 57-82, January.
- David Brasington & D. Hite, . "Demand for Environmental Quality: A Spatial Hedonic Analysis," Departmental Working Papers 2003-02, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Dennis Kaufman & Norman Cloutier, 2006. "The Impact of Small Brownfields and Greenspaces on Residential Property Values," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 19-30, August.
- Hammarlund, Cecilia, 2013. "The Big, the Bad and the Average: Hedonic Prices and Inverse Demand for Baltic Cod," Working Papers 2013:34, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- David M. Brasington & Diane Hite, . "Demand for Environmental Quality: A Spatial Hedonic Approach," Departmental Working Papers 2005-08, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Sieg, Holger & Smith, V. Kerry & Banzhaf, H. Spencer & Walsh, Randy, 2002. "Interjurisdictional housing prices in locational equilibrium," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 131-153, July.
- Silvia Banfi & Massimo Filippini & Andrea Horehájová, 2007. "Hedonic Price Functions for Zurich and Lugano with Special Focus on Electrosmog," CEPE Working paper series 07-57, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Yoo, James & Perrings, Charles & Kinzig, Ann & Abbott, Joshua K. & Simonit, Silvio & Connors, John P. & Maliszewski, Paul J., 2012. "The Value of Water Rights in Agricultural Properties in the Phoenix Active Management Area," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124095, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Fernando Carriazo & Richard Ready & James Shortle, 2011. "Using Frontier Models to Mitigate Omitted Variable Bias in Hedonic Pricing Models: A Case Study for Air Quality in Bogotá, Colombia," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 008736, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Poor, P. Joan & Pessagno, Keri L. & Paul, Robert W., 2007. "Exploring the hedonic value of ambient water quality: A local watershed-based study," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(4), pages 797-806, February.
- Delucchi, Mark & Murphy, James & McCubbin, Donald, 2002. "The Health and Visibility Cost of Air Pollution: A Comparison of Estimation Methods," Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series qt03s2x9xb, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis.
- Arief Anshory Yusuf & Budy P. Resosudarmo, 2006. "Assessing the Value of Clean Air in a Developing Country: A Hedonic Price Analysis of the Jakarta Housing Market, Indonesia," Economics and Environment Network Working Papers 0601, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Jean-Daniel Saphores & Ismael Aguilar-Benitez, 2005. "Smelly local polluters and residential property values: A hedonic analysis of four Orange County (California) cities," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 20(2), pages 197-218.
- Gonzalez, Fidel & Leipnik, Mark & Mazumder, Diya, 2013. "How much are urban residents in Mexico willing to pay for cleaner air?," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 354-379, June.
- M. Du Preez & M.C. Sale, 2011. "The impact of social housing developments on nearby property prices: A Nelson Mandela Bay Case Study," Working Papers 241, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Dan P. McMillen, 2004. "House prices and the proposed expansion of Chicago's O'Hare Airport," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q III, pages 28-39.
- David M. Brasington, .
"School Choice and the Flight to Private Schools: To What Extent Are Public and Private Schools Substitutes?,"
Departmental Working Papers
2006-04, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- David Brasington, . "School Choice and the Flight to Private Schools: To What Extent Are Public and Private Schools Substitutes?," Departmental Working Papers 2005-02, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Katherine Kiel, 2006. "Environmental Contamination and House Values," Working Papers 0601, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- Teuber, Ramona, 2010. "Estimating the Demand for Sensory Quality â€“ Theoretical Considerations and an Empirical Application to Specialty Coffee," Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development, vol. 59(3).
- Luc Anselin & Julie Le Gallo, 2006. "Interpolation of Air Quality Measures in Hedonic House Price Models: Spatial Aspects This paper is part of a joint research effort with James Murdoch (University of Texas, Dallas) and Mark Thayer (San," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 31-52.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.