Deforestation and Ownership: Evidence from Historical Accounts and Contemporary Data
AbstractHistorical accounts of forest cover changes over the last three millennia are compared to contemporaneous human history, to shed light on factors contributing to large scale changes in forest stocks. Insecure ownership, for example, during wartime and periods of unrest, tends to accompany deforestation, as does population growth, and as does declining agricultural yields. A simple model of forest stocks and agricultural yields that captures these relationships is formulated to guide empirical analysis. Estimates based on cross-country data support the proposition that agricultural yields tend to be low and deforestation rates rapid where ownership is inscure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 75 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q15 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Land Ownership and Tenure; Land Reform; Land Use; Irrigation; Agriculture and Environment
- Q23 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Forestry
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Galinato, Gregmar I. & Galinato, Suzette P., 2013. "The short-run and long-run effects of corruption control and political stability on forest cover," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(C), pages 153-161.
- Karp, Larry, 2004.
"Property Rights, Mobile Capital, and Comparative Advantage,"
Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series
qt41h0b5v5, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Karp, Larry, 2005. "Property rights, mobile capital, and comparative advantage," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 367-387, August.
- Karp, Larry, 2003. "Property rights, mobile capital, and comparative advantage," CUDARE Working Paper Series 942, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Karp, Larry, 2003. "Property rights, mobile capital, and comparative advantage," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt4jt9j6dn, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Araujo, Claudio & Bonjean, Catherine Araujo & Combes, Jean-Louis & Combes Motel, Pascale & Reis, Eustaquio J., 2009.
"Property rights and deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon,"
Elsevier, vol. 68(8-9), pages 2461-2468, June.
- Claudio ARAUJO & Catherine ARAUJO BONJEAN & Jean-Louis COMBES & Pascale COMBES MOTEL & Eustaquio J. REIS, 2008. "Property rights and deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon," Working Papers 200820, CERDI.
- Claudio Araujo & Catherine Araujo Bonjean & Jean-Louis Combes & Pascale Combes Motel & Eustaquio J. Reis, 2011. "Property rights and deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon," Working Papers halshs-00556699, HAL.
- Edward Barbier, 2003. "Explaining Agricultural Expansion, Resource Booms and Growth in Latin America," Environment, Development and Sustainability, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 437-458, September.
- Bhattarai, Madhusudan & Hammig, Michael, 2001. "Institutions and the Environmental Kuznets Curve for Deforestation: A Crosscountry Analysis for Latin America, Africa and Asia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 995-1010, June.
- van der Ploeg, Frederick & Rohner, Dominic, 2012.
"War and natural resource exploitation,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 56(8), pages 1714-1729.
- Rick van der Ploeg & Dominic Rohner, 2010. "War and Natural Resource Exploitation," OxCarre Working Papers 042, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Frederick Van der Ploeg & Dominic Rohner, 2010. "War and Natural Resource Exploitation," CESifo Working Paper Series 3244, CESifo Group Munich.
- Frederick van der Ploeg & Dominic Rohner, 2010. "War and natural resource exploitation," IEW - Working Papers 481, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Cuneyt Koyuncu & Rasim Yilmaz, 2013. "Deforestation, corruption, and private ownership in the forest sector," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 227-236, January.
- Fernandez, Linda, 2006. "Natural resources, agriculture and property rights," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 359-373, May.
- Deacon, Robert & Mueller, Bernardo, 2004. "Political Economy and Natural Resource Use," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt68g1n1v8, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Birdyshaw, Edward & Ellis, Christopher, 2007. "Privatizing an open-access resource and environmental degradation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2-3), pages 469-477, March.
- C. J. C. Bacha, 2003. "The determinants of reforestation in Brazil," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(6), pages 631-639.
- Klemick, Heather, 2011. "Constraints or Cooperation? Determinants of Secondary Forest Cover Under Shifting Cultivation," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 40(3), December.
- Barbier, Edward B., 2004. "Agricultural Expansion, Resource Booms and Growth in Latin America: Implications for Long-run Economic Development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 137-157, January.
- Edward Barbier, 2007. "Frontiers and sustainable economic development," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 37(1), pages 271-295, May.
- Alix-Garcia, Jennifer, 2007. "A spatial analysis of common property deforestation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 141-157, March.
- Cacho, Oscar, 2001. "An analysis of externalities in agroforestry systems in the presence of land degradation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 131-143, October.
- Godoy, R. & Kirby, K. & Wilkie, D., 2001. "Tenure security, private time preference, and use of natural resources among lowland Bolivian Amerindians," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 105-118, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.