The Economic Benefits of Surface Water Quality Improvements in Developing Countries: A Case Study of Davao, Philippines
AbstractTwo nonmarket valuation techniques-the contingent valuation method and travel cost model-are used to estimate the economic value that people in Davao, Philippines, place on improving the water quality of the rivers and sea near their community. The contingent valuation and travel cost estimates are very close to each other and are quite low, both in absolute terms and as a percentage of household income. These findings suggest that water pollution control is simply not a high priority for Davao's residents, and support the argument that households' willingness to pay for environmental amenities such as improved water quality is low.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 72 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
RePEc Biblio mentionsAs found on the RePEc Biblio, the curated bibliography for Economics:
- > Environmental and Natural Resource Economics > Environmental Economics > Valuation > Travel cost studies
- Tran, Ngoc Bich & Ley, Eduardo, 2012. "Green prices," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6131, The World Bank.
- Anabeth L Indab, 2007. "Willingness to Pay for Whale Shark Conservation in Sorsogon, Philippines," EEPSEA Special and Technical Paper tp200711t2, Economy and Environment Program for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA), revised Nov 2007.
- McConnell, Kenneth E. & Bockstael, Nancy E., 2006. "Valuing the Environment as a Factor of Production," Handbook of Environmental Economics, in: K. G. Mäler & J. R. Vincent (ed.), Handbook of Environmental Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 14, pages 621-669 Elsevier.
- Cho, Seong-Hoon & Yen, Steven T. & Bowker, James Michael & Newman, David H., 2008. "Modeling Willingness to Pay for Land Conservation Easements: Treatment of Zero and Protest Bids and Application and Policy Implications," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(01), April.
- Jung-Eun Kim & Jungsung Yeo, 2010. "Valuation of Consumers’ Personal Information: A South Korean Example," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 297-306, September.
- Anna Alberini & Paolo Rosato & Alberto Longo & Valentina Zanatta, 2005.
"Information and Willingness to Pay in a Contingent Valuation Study: The Value of S. Erasmo in the Lagoon of Venice,"
Journal of Environmental Planning and Management,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 48(2), pages 155-175.
- Anna Alberini & Paolo Rosato & Alberto Longo & Valentina Zanatta, 2004. "Information and Willingness to Pay in a Contingent Valuation Study: The Value of S. Erasmo in the Lagoon of Venice," Working Papers 2004.19, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- E. Somanathan, 2010.
"Effects of Information on Environmental Quality in Developing Countries,"
Review of Environmental Economics and Policy,
Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 4(2), pages 275-292, Summer.
- E. Somanathan, 2010. "Effects of information on environmental quality in developing countries," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 10-04, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Du Yaping, 1998. "The Value of Improved Water Quality for Recreation in East Lake, Wuhan, China: Application Of Contingent Valuation And Travel Cost Methods," EEPSEA Research Report rr1998052, Economy and Environment Program for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA), revised May 1998.
- Surender Kumar & D.N. Rao, 2001. "Valuing The Beneficts of Air Pollution Abatement Using a Health Production Function A Case Study of Panipat Thermal Power Station, India," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 20(2), pages 91-102, October.
- Ojeda, Monica Ilija & Mayer, Alex S. & Solomon, Barry D., 2008. "Economic valuation of environmental services sustained by water flows in the Yaqui River Delta," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 155-166, March.
- Andrea Ghermandi & Paulo A.L.D. Nunes, 2011.
"A Global Map of Costal Recreation Values: results from a spatially explicit meta-analysis,"
2011_08, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Ghermandi, Andrea & Nunes, Paulo A.L.D., 2013. "A global map of coastal recreation values: Results from a spatially explicit meta-analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(C), pages 1-15.
- Tisdell, Clement A. & Wilson, Clevo & Swarna Nantha, Hemanath, 2005. "Dynamic Processes in the Contingent Valuation of an Endangered Mammal Species," Economics, Ecology and Environment Working Papers 55064, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Bastone, Chris & Stewart-Carbines, Megan & Kerr, Geoffrey N. & Sharp, Basil M.H. & Meister, Anton D., 2010. "Understanding values associated with stormwater remediation options in marine coastal ecosystems: A case study from Auckland, New Zealand," 2010 Conference (54th), February 10-12, 2010, Adelaide, Australia 59578, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Tisdell, Clem & Wilson, Clevo & Swarna Nantha, Hemanath, 2008. "Contingent valuation as a dynamic process," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1443-1458, August.
- Barton, David N., 2002. "The transferability of benefit transfer: contingent valuation of water quality improvements in Costa Rica," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 147-164, August.
- Rex Labao & Herminia Francisco & Dieldre Harder & Florence Santos, 2008. "Do Colored Photographs Affect Willingness to Pay Responses for Endangered Species Conservation?," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 40(2), pages 251-264, June.
- Tisdell, Clement A. & Wilson, Clevo & Swarna Nantha, Hemanath, 2004. "Dynamic Processes in Contingent Valuation: A Case Study Involving the Mahogany Glider," Economics, Ecology and Environment Working Papers 51414, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- Dale Whittington, 1996.
"Administering Contingent Valuation Surveys in Developing Countries,"
EEPSEA Special and Technical Paper
sp199601t1, Economy and Environment Program for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA), revised Jan 1996.
- Whittington, Dale, 1998. "Administering contingent valuation surveys in developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 21-30, January.
- Sheila M. Olmstead, 2010. "The Economics of Water Quality," Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 4(1), pages 44-62, Winter.
- William J. Vaughan & Arthur H. Darling, 2000. "The Optimal Sample Size for Contingent Valuation Surveys: Applications to Project Analysis," IDB Publications 34638, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Alam, Khorshed, 2005. "Valuing the environment in developing countries: Problems and potentials," 2005 Conference (49th), February 9-11, 2005, Coff's Harbour, Australia 137741, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.