Efficiency in the Production of Rural Road Services: The Case of New England Towns
AbstractAn analysis of size and managerial efficiency of northern New England towns in the production of rural road services is reported. A stochastic cost frontier was used as the normative efficiency reference set. Empirical results provide evidence of economies of size in the production of road service in New England and that size inefficiencies are present. Results also suggest that managerial inefficiencies, or input use inefficiencies, are present and costs may be 40 percent higher than necessary. At issue is the effectiveness of current institutional arrangements: small town governments may best match local demand with services, but at high cost.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 70 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Krause, Mark A., 1996. "Cost Savings From Consolidating North Dakota'S Counties," Agricultural Economics Reports 23321, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Andrew Worthington & Brian Dollery, 2000. "Efficiency Measurement in the Local Public Sector: Econometric and Mathematical Programming Frontier Techniques," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 078, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Mandy Kriese, 2008. "Effizienzanalyse der sächsischen Gemeinden," ifo Dresden berichtet, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 15(05), pages 3-13, October.
- World Bank, 2008. "Improving the Management of Secondary and Tertiary Roads in the South East Europe Countries," World Bank Other Operational Studies 6213, The World Bank.
- Alexander Ebertz & Mandy Kriese & Marcel Thum & Helke Seitz, 2008. "Bewertung von lokalen Standortfaktoren für Haushalte und Unternehmen in Sachsen: Entwicklung von Indikatoren zur Überprüfung der Demographietauglichkeit von Förderprojekten der Sächsischen Aufbau," ifo Dresden Studien, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, number 46, October.
- World Bank, 2008. "Improving the Management of Secondary and Tertiary Roads in the South East Europe Countries," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7786, The World Bank.
- Edelman, Mark, 2000. "Potential Cost Savings and Framework of Strategies for Improved Delivery of Government Services," Staff General Research Papers 2074, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Deller, Steven C. & Hinds, David G. & Hinman, Donald L., 2001.
"Local Public Services in Wisconsin: Alternatives for Municipalities with a Focus on Privatization,"
Staff Paper Series
441, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- STEVEN C. DELLER & David G. Hinds & Donald L. Hinman, 2001. "Local Public Services in Wisconsin: Alternatives for Municipalities with a Focus on Privatization," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 441, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Schmit, Todd M. & Boisvert, Richard N., 1996. "Rural Utilities Service's Water and Waste Disposal Loan and Grant Program and its Contribution to Small Public Water System Improvements in New York State," Research Bulletins 122990, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Halstead, John M. & Park, William M., 1996. "The Role Of Economic Analysis In Local Government Decisions: The Case Of Solid Waste Management," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 25(1), April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.