Evaluating the Effect of Alternative Risk Communication Devices on Willingness to Pay: Results from a Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation Experiment
AbstractTwo versions of a contingent valuation questionnaire that differ only in the device used to communicate risks from hazardous waste were sent to California households. Both risk communication devices provide WTP functions which vary in a statistically significant fashion with the absolute risk reduction. However, these empirical results also demonstrate that different risk communication devices produce statistically different logit equations and hence estimates of willingness to pay (WTP) for reductions in exposure to hazardous waste. The pros and cons of using each risk communication device in CVM surveys is also discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 69 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carson, Richard T & Mitchell, Robert Cameron, 2000. "Public Preferences Towards Environmental Risks: The Case of Trihalomethanes," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt12t5g549, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Mary Riddel & W. Douglass Shaw, 2003.
"Option Wealth and Bequest Values: The Value of Protecting Future Generations from the Health Risks of Nuclear Waste Storage,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 79(4), pages 537-548.
- Riddel, Mary C. & Shaw, W. Douglass, 2002. "Option Wealth And Bequest Values: The Value Of Protecting Future Generations From The Health Risks Of Nuclear Waste Storage," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19662, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Riddel, Mary, 2011. "Uncertainty and measurement error in welfare models for risk changes," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 341-354, May.
- Mary Riddel & W. Shaw, 2006. "A theoretically-consistent empirical model of non-expected utility: An application to nuclear-waste transport," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 131-150, March.
- Abou-Ali, Hala, 2003. "Using stated preference methods to evaluate the impact of water on health: the case of metropolitan Cairo," Working Papers in Economics 113, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Dr Clevo I. Wilson, 1999. "Pesticide Avoidance: Results From a Sri Lankan Study with Health and Environmental Policy Implications," Discussion Papers Series 264, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Creel, M. & Loomis, J., 1995.
"Semi-Nonparametric Distribution-Free Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
273.94, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Creel, Michael & Loomis, John, 1997. "Semi-nonparametric Distribution-Free Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 341-358, March.
- Gregory Poe & Richard Bishop, 1999. "Valuing the Incremental Benefits of Groundwater Protection when Exposure Levels are Known," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 13(3), pages 341-367, April.
- Sund, Björn, 2009. "Sensitivity to scope in contingent valuation – introducing a flexible community analogy to communicate mortality risk reductions," Working Papers 2009:2, Örebro University, School of Business.
- Melkonyan, Tigran A., 2011. "The Effect of Communicating Ambiguous Risk Information on Choice," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(2), August.
- Cooper, Joseph C., 2002. "Flexible Functional Form Estimation of Willingness to Pay Using Dichotomous Choice Data," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 267-279, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.