Changes in Wage Discrimination against People with Disabilities: 1984-93
AbstractA group of health-impaired workers who self-report in the Survey of Income and Program Participation that their productivity is not affected by their impairment is used to separately measure the effects of discrimination from the effects of poor health on earnings in 1984 and 1993. The results indicate that, in 1984, only 3.7 percentage points of the earnings gap is due to discrimination and the amount of discrimination did not decrease by 1993. Although discrimination did not change over the 1984 to 1993 period, the negative effects of poor health on the earnings of people with disabilities fell substantially.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 36 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lamichhane, Kamal & Sawada, Yasuyuki, 2013.
"Disability and returns to education in a developing country,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 85-94.
- Kamal Lamichhane & Yasuyuki Sawada, 2009. "Disability and Returns to Education in a Developing Country," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-645, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Bruce D. Meyer & Wallace K. C. Mok, 2006.
"Disability, Earnings, Income and Consumption,"
0610, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- Todd E. Elder & John H. Goddeeris & Steven J. Haider, 2009.
"Unexplained Gaps and Oaxaca-Blinder Decompositions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
600, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Elder, Todd E. & Goddeeris, John H. & Haider, Steven J., 2010. "Unexplained gaps and Oaxaca-Blinder decompositions," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 284-290, January.
- Elder, Todd E. & Goddeeris, John H. & Haider, Steven J., 2009. "Unexplained Gaps and Oaxaca-Blinder Decompositions," IZA Discussion Papers 4159, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cole, Harold & Kim, Soojin & Krueger, Dirk, 2012.
"Analyzing the Effects of Insuring Health Risks: On the Trade-off between Short Run Insurance Benefits vs. Long Run Incentive Costs,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9239, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cole, Harold L. & Kim, Soojin & Krueger, Dirk, 2012. "Analyzing the effects of insuring health risks: On the trade-off between short run insurance benefits vs. long run incentive costs," CFS Working Paper Series 2012/18, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Harold L. Cole & Soojin Kim & Dirk Krueger, 2012. "Analyzing the Effects of Insuring Health Risks: On the Trade-off between Short Run Insurance Benefits vs. Long Run Incentive Costs," PIER Working Paper Archive 12-047, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Harold L. Cole & Soojin Kim & Dirk Krueger, 2012. "Analyzing the Effects of Insuring Health Risks: On the Trade-off between Short Run Insurance Benefits vs. Long Run Incentive Costs," NBER Working Papers 18572, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Owen O'Donnell & Eddy Van Doorslaer & Tom Van Ourti, 2013. "Health and Inequality," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-170/V, Tinbergen Institute.
- Ricardo Pagán, 2013. "Job Satisfaction and Domains of Job Satisfaction for Older Workers with Disabilities in Europe," Journal of Happiness Studies, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 861-891, June.
- Choe, Chung, 2009. "Determinants of Labor Market Outcomes of Disabled Men Before and After the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990," IRISS Working Paper Series 2009-07, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Melanie K. Jones & Peter J. Sloane, 2010.
"Disability and Skill Mismatch,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 86(s1), pages 101-114, 09.
- Jones, Melanie K. & Mavromaras, Kostas G. & Sloane, Peter J. & Wei, Zhang, 2011. "Disability and Job Mismatches in the Australian Labour Market," IZA Discussion Papers 6152, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chris Doucouliagos & Phillip Hone & Mehmet Ulubasoglu, 2006. "Discrimination, Peformance and Career Progression in Australian Public Sector Labor Markets," Economics Series 2006_07, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- David R. Mann & David C. Wittenburg, 2014. "Explaining Differentials in Employment and Wages Between Young Adults with and Without Disabilities," Mathematica Policy Research Reports 8112, Mathematica Policy Research.
- BALDWIN Marjorie L. & CHOE Chung, 2010. "New Estimates of Disability-Related Wage Discrimination with Controls for Job Demands," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2010-14, CEPS/INSTEAD.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.