The Production of Quality in Child Care Centers
AbstractThis paper reports estimates of models of the determinants of quality in day care centers. The analysis examines the sensitivity of the results to specification issues that have not been investigated previously. In the best-fitting models that survive an extensive set of specification tests, group size and child-staff ratio have small impacts on the quality of care provided. The effects of staff education and training are typically small as well. The results raise questions about the knowledge base on which to make policy recommendations concerning the benefits of regulations and subsidies intended to improve the quality of child care.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 32 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- H. Naci Mocan, 1995. "The Child Care Industry: Cost Functions, Efficiency, and Quality," NBER Working Papers 5293, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cho, Yoonyoung, 2008. "An Evaluation of A Pronatal Subsidy Program in Korea: A Quasi-Experimental Approach," MPRA Paper 25958, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Magnuson, Katherine & Shager, Hilary, 2010. "Early education: Progress and promise for children from low-income families," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1186-1198, September.
- David M. Blau, 2000.
"Child Care Subsidy Programs,"
NBER Working Papers
7806, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Blau, 2003. "Child Care Subsidy Programs," NBER Chapters, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, in: Means-Tested Transfer Programs in the United States, pages 443-516 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David M. Blau & H. Naci Mocan, 2002.
"The Supply Of Quality In Child Care Centers,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 483-496, August.
- Blau, David & Currie, Janet, 2006.
"Pre-School, Day Care, and After-School Care: Who's Minding the Kids?,"
Handbook of the Economics of Education, Elsevier,
- David Blau & Janet Currie, 2004. "Preschool, Day Care, and Afterschool Care: Who's Minding the Kids?," NBER Working Papers 10670, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chikako Yamauchi, 2009.
"The Availability of Child Care Centers, Perceived Search Costs and Parental Life Satisfaction,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University
620, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Chikako Yamauchi, 2010. "The availability of child care centers, perceived search costs and parental life satisfaction," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 231-253, June.
- V. Joseph Hotz & Mo Xiao, 2005. "The Impact of Minimum Quality Standards on Firm Entry, Exit and Product Quality: The Case of the Child Care Market," Working Papers, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau 05-28, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- V. Joseph Hotz & Mo Xiao, 2005.
"The Impact of Regulations on the Supply and Quality of Care in Child Care Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
11873, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- V. Joseph Hotz & Mo Xiao, 2011. "The Impact of Regulations on the Supply and Quality of Care in Child Care Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 101(5), pages 1775-1805, August.
- Katharina Spieß & Wolfgang Tietze, 2001. "Gütesiegel als neues Instrument der Qualitätssicherung von Humandienstleistungen: Gründe, Anforderungen und Umsetzungsüberlegungen am Beispiel von Kindertageseinrichtungen," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 243, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Pierre Lefebvre & Philip Merrigan, 2000.
"The Effect of Childcare and Early Education Arrangements on Developmental Outcomes of Young Children,"
Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers, CREFE, UniversitÃ© du QuÃ©bec Ã MontrÃ©al
119, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Pierre Merrigan & Philip Lefebvre, 2002. "The Effect of Childcare and Early Education Arrangements on Developmental Outcomes of Young Children," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, University of Toronto Press, vol. 28(2), pages 159-185, June.
- Lyn Craig, 2006. "Where Do They Find the Time?: An Analysis of How Parents Shift and Squeeze Their Time around Work and Child Care," Economics Working Paper Archive, Levy Economics Institute wp_439, Levy Economics Institute.
- H. Naci Mocan & Deborah Viola, 1997. "The Determinants of Child Care Workers' Wages and Compensation: Sectoral Differences, Human Capital, Race, Insiders and Outsiders," NBER Working Papers 6328, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lyn Craig, 2007. "How Employed Mothers in Australia Find Time for Both Market Work and Childcare," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 69-87, March.
- Blau, David M., 2007. "Unintended consequences of child care regulations," Labour Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 513-538, June.
- Peter Boenisch & Sven Tagge, 2012. "The Optimal Size of German Child Care Centers and the Impact of Regulation: Estimating the Cost Function of a Regulated Mulzi-Product Firm," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 232(5), pages 545-566, September.
- Y. Emre Akgunduz & Janneke Plantenga, 2013. "Competition for a better future? Effects of competition on child care quality," Working Papers, Utrecht School of Economics 13-14, Utrecht School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.