Vocational Schooling, Occupational Matching, and Labor Market Earnings in Israel
AbstractThis paper examines the efficacy (in terms of labor market outcomes) of vocational school education in Israel as compared with that of academic schools. Using data from the 1983 population census, the study shows vocational schooling, which accounts for half of secondary school enrollment in Israel, to be more cost-effective than general school education for those students who do not go on to higher education. In particular, those who complete vocational school and who work in occupations related to a course to study pursued at school earn more (by up to 10 percent annually) than their counterparts who attended general secondary schools or those from vocational schools who are employed in noncourse-related occupations. These results provide strong reinforcement of recent, broadly similar studies for the United States.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 26 (1991)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ofer Malamud & Cristian Pop-Eleches, 2008.
"General Education vs. Vocational Training: Evidence from an Economy in Transition,"
NBER Working Papers
14155, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ofer Malamud & Cristian Pop-Eleches, 2008. "General Education vs. Vocational Training: Evidence from an Economy in Transition," Working Papers 0807, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- Chris Sakellariou, 2005. "Profitability of Vocational vs. Formal Education for Men and Women in Singapore Using Quantile Regressions," Economic Growth centre Working Paper Series 0502, Nanyang Technolgical University, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Economic Growth centre.
- David Newhouse & Daniel Suryadarma, 2011.
"The Value of Vocational Education: High School Type and Labor Market Outcomes in Indonesia,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 25(2), pages 296-322, May.
- Newhouse, David & Suryadarma, Daniel, 2009. "The value of vocational education : high school type and labor market outcomes in Indonesia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5035, The World Bank.
- Neuman, Shoshana & Ziderman, Adrian, 2003.
"Can vocational education improve the wages of minorities and disadvantaged groups?: The case of Israel,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 421-432, August.
- Neuman, Shoshana & Ziderman, Adrian, 2001. "Can Vocational Education Improve the Wages of Minorities and Disadvantaged Groups? The Case of Israel," IZA Discussion Papers 348, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Neuman, Shoshana & Ziderman, Adrian, 2001. "Can Vocational Education Improve the Wages of Minorities and Disadvantaged Groups? The Case of Israel," CEPR Discussion Papers 2912, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pema, Elda & Mehay, Stephen, 2012. "Career effects of occupation-related vocational education: Evidence from the military's internal labor market," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 680-693.
- Kahyarara, Godius & Teal, Francis, 2008.
"The Returns to Vocational Training and Academic Education: Evidence from Tanzania,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 2223-2242, November.
- Godius Kahyarara & Francis Teal, 2008. "The returns to vocational training and academic education: Evidence from Tanzania," CSAE Working Paper Series 2008-07, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Carlos Cáceres & Carlos Chávez, 1995. "El Programa de Becas de Arancel Universitario MINEDUC: Antecedentes para una Evaluación," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 32(96), pages 165-198.
- Francis Teal & Godius Kahyarara, 2008. "The returns to vocational training and academic education: Evidence from Tanzania," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2008-07, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Klinov, Ruth, 1996. "Changes in school enrollment patterns in Israel: A comparison between two disadvantaged groups," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 289-301, June.
- Eugenio Bobenrieth & Carlos Cáceres, 1993. "Determinantes del Salario de los Egresados de la Enseñanza Media Técnico Profesional en Chile," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 30(89), pages 111-130.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.