An Econometric Analysis of Costs and Scale Economies in the Nursing Home Industry
AbstractThis paper examines costs in the nursing home industry, an issue of concern to policymakers because Medicaid pays about half of the expenditures on nursing home care. The paper estimates two cost functions for a sample of Texas nursing homes in 1983: one assumes that all homes provide the same quality of care, the other considers quality differences. The results indicate that there are economies of scale in the production of nursing home care. This suggests that many states could serve the same number of Medicaid patients at a lower total cost if occupancy rates were higher, and that a fixed rate reimbursement policy could lower costs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 23 (1988)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yu, Wei & Bradford, Garnett L., 1995. "Rural-Urban Differences In Nursing Home Access, Quality And Cost," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Eric W. Christensen, 2004. "Scale and scope economies in nursing homes: A quantile regression approach," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(4), pages 363-377.
- Vitaliano, Donald F., 2003. "Do not-for-profit firms maximize profit?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 75-87.
- Shimizutani, Satoshi & Suzuki, Wataru, 2007. "Quality and efficiency of home help elderly care in Japan: Evidence from micro-level data," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 287-301, June.
- Joël, Marie-Eve & Sibille, Romain, 2013. "Education and career path of French nursing home managers : impact on their human resources practices," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11700, Paris Dauphine University.
- Virender Kumar & Edward Norton & William Encinosa, 2006. "OBRA 1987 and the quality of nursing home care," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 49-81, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.